As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Slow cooker pepper steak is a meal sure to please. Easy to make with simple ingredients and making it in the slow cooker keeps your kitchen cool!
A Restaurant and Take Out Favorite
Pepper steak is one of the most popular dishes in Asian restaurants and take outs. It’s easy to see why because the flavors blend so well together.
Pepper steak is actually a stir fry recipe but it is easily adaptable to the slow cooker. While the slow cooker method may not be “authentic,” it certainly tastes good. Less expensive cuts of beef can be used with slow cooking and that makes this meal very economical.
Cuts of Beef to Use
I made this with the last piece of sirloin tip steak I had in the freezer. Sirloin tip was on sale a few weeks ago and I took advantage of that. However, chuck, rump and round are excellent choices too. These cuts are less tender and lend themselves to slow cooking.
Your Slow Cooker Is Great for Summer Use
A slow cooker isn’t just for fall and winter cooking!
I used to only think of using my crock pot during the winter and so do a lot of other people. But the fact is, it doesn’t heat your kitchen, which makes it a boon in the summer. Many places get triple-digit temps in the summer and who wants to cook in that weather, let alone turn on the oven!
Bell Peppers Are Delicate
All the main ingredients may be added at the beginning. However, I make this a two-step process because of the bell peppers.
Peppers are delicate and will turn to mush during the long cooking time. I add them about 15-30 minutes before I serve this. Adding the peppers towards the end helps preserve their colors and a bit of crunch.
Slow Cooker Pepper Steak
- 1 lb sirloin tip steak cut in 1-inch strips
- 1 cup sliced water chestnuts drained
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 2 cups bell peppers cut in 1-inch cubes
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 2 tbs dry white wine
- Thickening: if desired
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup water
- Place beef, mushrooms, onion, garlic, soy sauce, brown sugar, water chestnuts and wine in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours, high 4-6 hours.
- About 15-30 minutes before serving, add the peppers (see NOTES).
- If thickening is desired, mix cornstarch and water and stir into the slow cooker. Turn to high (if you cooked on low) and cook for 15 minutes.