As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Lemon poppy salad dressing is versatile. The dressing may be used on fruit as well as veggie salads!
A Versatile Dressing
Lemon poppy seed dressing is one of those dressings you can use on either sweet or savory salads. This dressing can even be used as a marinade on chicken. It’s that good!
No Need To Squeeze
I’ve figured out a way to do this where I eliminate squeezing lemons or worse yet, using bottled lemon juice. As far as the regular lemons go, have you seen the price of lemons lately? I almost keeled over when I did. However, since the base of this dressing is a concentrated form of lemonade, I used the lemonade concentrate to substitute for the juice and sugar. This concentrate is the one found in the freezer section and it’s generally next to the orange juice concentrate.
This frozen lemonade tastes really natural as if you started making lemonade from scratch. There is no artificial flavor at all. And the added benefit is, it’s a LOT cheaper than buying the lemons you’d need to get the necessary amount of juice.
Another benefit to using the frozen lemonade concentrate is that you will only use half the can and with the other half of the can, you can make these delicious Lemonade Squares!
Getting The Perfect Consistency
Without going into the chemistry of “immiscible” substances, movement and stabilization, there’s an easy way to do this if you have ONE ingredient and ONE kitchen appliance.
Now you can get the dressing to bind using a regular blender and adding the oil in a slow steady stream. I haven’t got that kind of patience anymore, nor the steady hands so I use two tricks.
First trick is using a small amount of dijon mustard because it’s a natural emulsifier (stabler) and an immersion blender because it beats so rapidly, you can eliminate the slow and steady oil stream. You will have to angle the immersion blender while beating to make sure all the liquid is moving. That’s the tricks! This works just as well if you want to make homemade mayonnaise!
Lemon Poppy Salad Dressing
- 1/2 cup frozen lemonade concentrate thawed--EU/UK readers see NOTES
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil DO NOT USE EVOO!!!
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- Use the cup that comes with your immersion blender
- Place lemonade concentrate and mustard in the cup.
- Pulse with immersion blender to combine.
- Add the vegetable oil and process with immersion blender at highest speed, lifting the blender to make sure all the liquid is moving around. It'll take about 60 seconds for this mixture to emulsify.
- Pulse in poppy seeds.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- If you don't have an immersion blender but have a regular blender, follow the recipe EXCEPT don't add oil all at once. With the blender running, add the oil in a slow, steady stream.