As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Tender and perfect beef cube steaks cooked low and slow in the crockpot.
I see a similar recipe for this a lot on my Facebook crock pot group so when I was lucky enough to find a big “family” pack of cube steaks the other day that my store had reduced, I scooped them up and planned to make a slow cooker meal with them. I might add that any meat I find with a reduction for last-day-of-sale is always top notch, so this is why I buy it!
The standard recipe I always see for this uses dry onion soup mix. I’m really not a big fan of this flavor, and the reason is really bizarre when I think of it.
The thing I don’t like about the soup mix is–and especially using it in a slow cooker–smelling it for hours on end while it cooks. I have no issues with it when it’s used in dips and such, but smelling it for hours cooking is another story. Plus it’s a very dominant flavor/scent that I don’t seem to be able to smell anything else. By the time it comes to eat whatever it is in, I’m sorta “past it” if you know what I mean.
Because of this weird thing of mine, I will try to substitute something else for it–even if it’s beef broth and regular onions.
Here I used regular onions, but I used au jus gravy mix in place of the soup mix. I’m beginning to be a fan of this flavor anytime I’ve used it with beef as a seasoning. I use a lot of gravy mixes as seasonings; rarely use them for their intended purpose!
Since I love mushrooms, I threw in a couple of small cans of button mushrooms I had on hand since I had no fresh. But if you hate mushrooms–and I know many do–just leave them out. It won’t affect the taste.
I made this in my casserole crock pot and that was a perfect use for this as I was able to lay the steaks in virtually a single layer. Also remember that cube steaks shrink–up to one half their original size, so bear that in mind when you are buying them. I had 10 fair-sized raw steaks, but this recipe will feed 4-6, depending on appetite.
Slow Cooker Cube Steak
- 2-3 lbs chuck cube steak about 8-10 steaks
- 2 cans 10.75 oz each cream of mushroom soup (I use low sodium)
- 1 small onion sliced
- 2 8 oz each cans button mushrooms, drained (optional)
- 1 envelope au jus gravy mix
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 2 tbs oil
- 1/2 cup seasoned flour see NOTES
- Heat 1 tbs oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Dredge the steaks in the seasoned flour.
- Brown half of the steaks (you will have to brown in shifts due to the amount of steak)
- Add the remaining 1 tbs of oil and brown the remaining steaks.
- Place the steaks in a 5-7 quart slow cooker -OR- casserole crockpot.
- In a large bowl, mix the soup, gravy mix, garlic, onions and mushrooms (if using)
- Pour over the steaks, cover and cook on low 6-8 hours, high 4-6 hours.