As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Shrimp and zucchini with orzo is a great one-pan dish. Delicious and easy dinner.
Great One-Skillet Meal
Shrimp and zucchini with orzo is one of those quick one-pan meals that comes together easily. Since it tastes so good, it’s sure to be on your dinner rotation permanently.
In fact, you’re not limited to shrimp here because any leftover meat will go great with the pasta and veggie combination. Chicken would be a natural choice, at least for me. So remember this recipe the next time you have any leftover rotisserie chicken.
I remember the first time I discovered orzo. So many possibilities for its use went through my head. Orzo is truly a versatile pasta shape.
Of course it’s really not meant to be used in the usual pasta fashion and that’s the nicest part of it.
Orzo can take the place of rice in so many things. However, unlike most rices, orzo has a silky texture which makes it a great “extender” for any dish that has a sauce.
And just like rice, when there’s a sauce involved, you want to serve it immediately. Reason is since it’s like rice, it absorbs liquid rapidly. Wait too long and the dish is dry.
Add What You Like
I kept it simple here and used zucchini by itself. However, you can add lots more veggies to this dish to extend it. Adding more vegetables also will add interesting textures, not to mention adding more fiber which many of us are lacking.
If you have a child who’s not big on their “greens” it just may encourage them to eat more of what’s good for them. This will work especially if you vary colors so it looks pretty. My mother used to do this so my sister would eat more of them. My only vegetable phobia was eating the stalks of broccoli. Go figure it’s my favorite part now.
Shrimp & Zucchini with Orzo
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 large zucchini cut in half lengthwise and into 1/4-inch slices (about 2 cups)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 3/4 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1 1/2 cups reduced sodium chicken stock
- 1 lb uncooked large shrimp peeled deveined
- 2 tbs butter
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves chopped
- 1 tbs finely chopped parsley
- In 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add zucchini and salt; cook 4 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until crisp-tender. Remove with slotted spoon; reserve.
- Heat same skillet over medium heat; add garlic and pasta.
- Cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until garlic is fragrant and pasta is lightly toasted.
- Add broth; cover and simmer 10 to 11 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed.
- Stir in shrimp, butter and zucchini; cover and cook 3 to 4 minutes or until shrimp are pink and pasta is tender.
- Stir in cheese, lemon, and thyme; garnish with parsley.