As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Shrimp and crab bisque is a soup that can be a meal.
Delicious Shrimp And Crab Bisque
I’ve loved bisques forever. If there’s any Brooklynites out there who remember Lundy’s on Emmons Avenue down in Sheepshead Bay, you’ll know where that love started. Sadly Lundy’s has been gone for years but not my love of these rich creamy soups. This shrimp and crab bisque is just another one I fell in love with.
Bisques are pretty simple to make. They are rich and filling enough to be the star attraction at dinner. Just add a hard roll and a green salad and you’re all set.
Shrimp And Crab
You don’t have to use the most expensive large or jumbo shrimp in this. The small or medium ones do just fine; in fact those sizes are preferred. And small and medium shrimp are quite budget conscious too. This soup won’t break the bank!
When it comes to the crab meat, I tend to use the canned variety. I know, I’m always on about fresh, but the canned is pretty good and the main thing is that it is shelf stable. Since I don’t do actual crab legs anymore, I consider it a good choice. Whatever you choose to use, the soup will be excellent so you have no worries.
I departed from my usual here and used half and half instead of light or heavy cream. The way I though about it was the soup is rich enough with the seafood and heavy cream would have been overkill. Milk–whole milk that is–would probably work well too.
For my EU and UK readers, “half and half” is an American thing. It’s actually equal parts of whole (full fat) milk and single (light) cream.
Shrimp and Crab Bisque
- 2 tbs butter
- 2 tbs all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp chicken bouillon granules
- 2 tbs finely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1/2 lb medium shrimp - peeled and deveined
- 1/2 lb pre-cooked crab meat
- 1/2 cup white wine
- In a large saucepan, melt butter over a low heat. Stir in flour, salt, white pepper, bouillon granules, and onion. Blend 3/4 cup half-and-half cream into the mixture. Mix in shrimp and crab meat. Turn the temperature to medium heat and continue stirring until the mixture thickens.
- Blend the remaining half-and-half cream and wine into the mixture. Serve and enjoy!