As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Air fryer salt and vinegar roast potatoes is an excellent side dish.
Love The Potato Chips?
If you love the flavor in potato chips, then you’ll definitely love these salt and vinegar roast potatoes!
You can do them in a conventional oven but since the air fryer can do them quicker and crispier, it’s best to use the air fryer.
I made these in the conventional basket-style fryer. If you have the oven-style fryer then you’ll use the cylindrical basket that spins to make these. Since the basket operates on the rotisserie function, it will eliminate the need to shake the potatoes mid way in the cooking.
Interesting Fact About Salt And Vinegar Potatoes
The flavor of salt and vinegar with potatoes is nothing new.
I can’t speak for now, but the older generation in Britain always ate their “chips” (French fries) with salt and malt vinegar. It’s always on the table of any fish & chips joint. The younguns like my nephew have adopted the “tomato sauce” (what they call ketchup) style. However, I’m sure that there are still proponents of the old salt and vinegar condiment. Of course over there, the vinegar is always malt vinegar. So if you want to get authentic British with this side dish, then by all means get some malt vinegar.
Use Firm Potatoes
The potatoes need to hold up under the partial cooking and the final roast. Therefore, it’s necessary to use a potato variety that will hold it’s shape. For this recipe, you don’t want the floury baking type of potato. You need one with a waxy texture.
The best varieties for this are Yukon gold or red potatoes. If you can get the small gourmet type, they are the best. But you can always use regular-sized potatoes and cut them in chunks about 1-inch/2.5 cm. Don’t bother peeling them either. Just give the potatoes a good scrub under running water and you’re good to go.
Air Fryer Salt & Vinegar Roast Potatoes
- 2 lb baby Yukon Gold potatoes halved, quartered if large
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
- 1 tbs kosher salt plus more
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbs chopped fresh chives
- Coarse sea salt
- 2 tbs olive oil
- Combine potatoes, 1 cup vinegar, and 1 tablespoon kosher salt in a medium saucepan; add water to cover by 1". Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until potatoes are tender, 20–25 minutes; drain and pat dry.
- Place potatoes in a large bowl. Add the olive oil and toss until well coated (you may add more olive oil if you wish).
- Put the potatoes in the air fryer basket and cook at 400F/200C for 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and beginning to crisp around the edges.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tablespoons of vinegar, chives and coarse sea salt.