As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
|Sausage and Quinoa Risotto|
This is OH SO GOOD!! And easy too. One-pot meal.
Sausage defrosts quickly and cooks SO nicely in a rice cooker or pressure cooker. I cooked this entire meal in my 5 cup rice cooker. Of course, it was a single portion, so if you’re cooking it for a family, use a larger model!!
Quinoa cooks exactly like rice, so perfect to be made in a rice cooker. I also sauteed the onion, peppers and mushrooms in the rice cooker–set to COOK, which is the high heat. If you are using a pressure cooker, then HI or BROWN (on electric models) will do fine.
A rice cooker will switch to WARM once the liquid is evaporated, so when the cooker switches to OFF or WARM, the dish is done.
If you are going to do this in a pressure cooker, then set it to HIGH or MEAT and cook for 15-20 minutes.
I was so surprised at how tasty and succulent the sausage was cooked this way. I’m so used to baking them, and thought they were good then, but I think I will use my rice cooker in future to do this. This was oh-so good and definitely a keeper.
And to think, this was one of those “toss what you have on hand in” kinda meals. What a pleasant surprise! I used sweet Italian sausage in here, but hot would be good, or any variety sausage!
This can be cooked by conventional methods on the stovetop. Use a covered skillet or everyday pan. After you add the quinoa & water, bring the water to a boil, cover, reduce heat and cook until all water is absorbed.
Sausage and Quinoa Risotto
- 6 Italian sausage links
- 1/4 cup diced green or red bell pepper or a combo of the 2
- 2 tbsp chopped onion
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 pkg G. Washingtons Brown Seasoning mix or 1 beef or chicken stock cube
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Set rice cooker (or pressure cooker) to HIGH. Add oil and heat. Add the peppers, onions and mushrooms. Saute until onion is translucent.
- Add water, quinoa, seasoning mix (or stock cube) and sausages. Stir.
- Leave rice cooker on HIGH. If using pressure cooker, seal and set on HIGH or MEAT for 15 minutes.
- When rice cooker switches to OFF/WARM dish is done. With pressure cooker, let pressure drop naturally for 5 minutes, then release pressure.
- Serves 2 (larger servings) or 3 smaller servings.