As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Warm and delicious…nothing beats a flauta! And they can also be made on a gas BBQ grill–great for an outdoor party dessert. Not bad calorie-wise either (if you can stop at one).
Now that I’m into tortillas, I usually have them hanging around, and I just happened to have a few of the smaller 6-inch ones left over from a Cinco de Mayo dish I was making.
I didn’t bother with fresh apples since I have several cans of apple pie filling…that’s really all you are making when you start with raw apples. However, I did “fry” the apples in a little browned butter and leftover cinnamon sugar.
The result was amazingly delicious–despite the filling was the sugar-free variety. I figured since I saved SO many calories, I’d eat TWO of these LOL. With extra caramel sauce of course. You can also use dulce de leche in place of the caramel for a drizzle.
- 2 cups apple pie filling 1 large can
- 2 tbs cinnamon sugar
- 3 tbs butter
- 6 small 6-inch flour tortillas
- 4 tbs butter
- 1/4 cup cinnamon sugar 3 parts sugar to 1 part ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup caramel sauce or dulce de leche
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the 4 tbs of butter in a 10-inch skillet. Dip one side of a tortilla in the melted butter and place buttered side up on a baking sheet. Sprinkle buttered side with cinnamon sugar, turn, brush other side of tortilla with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Repeat with all tortillas.
- Place tortillas in preheated oven for about 5 minutes, or until the are pliable enough to roll.
- Roll tortillas into a loose roll and place seam-side down on baking sheet. Return to oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until tortillas are crispy and begin to brown. Remove from oven; set on serving platter and set aside
- Melt 2 tbs of butter in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat. When butter begins to brown, add pie filling and 2 tbs cinnamon sugar. Stir until sugar is dissolved and mixture begins to boil.
- Spoon hot apple mixture on top of rolled tortillas. Drizzle with caramel sauce. May be dusted with powdered sugar if desired. Serve immediately.
- Serves 6