As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This easy shrimp in a mushroom cream sauce is sure to become a family favorite.
I love shrimp practically any way you can serve it up. It only gets better when it cooks in a jiffy and looks extra fancy.
This is one of those recipes that not only tastes great but is worthy of company! This is adapted from a real oldie from The Campbell’s people.
Maybe the fact that Kate Beckinsale was preparing this in a movie makes it special. It’s just one of those meals where you can’t mess it up, no matter what you do.
To Reduce Or Not To Reduce
The sauce should be thick enough without reducing it because it uses heavy cream.
If you want to substitute something lower in fat, I’d recommend using undiluted evaporated milk–but not the skimmed variety. You can also substitute regular whole milk–again no fat-free because some fat is necessary for flavor.
Substituting regular milk will make the sauce thinner. You have a couple of options here.
One option is to simmer the sauce until it’s reduced by half or to thicken with a little flour or cornstarch. Unless you’re in a huge rush, I recommend reduction because it intensifies flavor.
Choose Flavorful Mushrooms
In this creamy shrimp dish, you sear the mushrooms in butter over a high heat. That adds tons of flavor even to ordinary white mushrooms–the ones that are always on sale!
However, if you want to get really fancy, you can use baby bellas, creminis or wild mushrooms. These varieties will add even more flavor and I’d definitely think of those if I were serving this to guests since it makes this meal even more special.
Finally when searing the mushrooms, remember to stir or shake the pan constantly. This promotes even browning and prevent the butter from burning.
Shrimp In Mushroom Cream Sauce
- 1 lb small shrimp peeled uncooked
- 3 tbs unsalted butter divided
- 10 oz condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 2 large button mushrooms chopped
- 1 clove garlic finely minced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 2 tbs grated Parmesan -OR- Romano cheese
- cooked basmati rice
- Melt 2 tbs of the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the shrimp and cook until it’s pink and opaque on both sides; remove from pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of butter to the pan. Turn the heat up to hight. Add the chopped mushrooms and garlic, cooking until the mushrooms begin to sear.
- Mix the soup and cream in a small bowl, then pour into the pan. Add the cheese and heat until the soup mixture just begins to boil. Place the shrimp back in the skillet and heat through. Garnish with some chopped fresh parsley if desired.
- Serve immediately over basmati rice.