As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Succulent and juicy pork chops roasted on a bed of savoury and crunchy stuffing. Roast in the oven or slow cooker.
Now here’s an easy week-night dinner that’s sure to please!
I’ve made something like this for years with chicken–which I hacked from an old Pillsbury recipe for chicken on rice.
This casserole is a meal in itself. The stuffing has green beans, although you can use any veg frozen, fresh or canned (for convenience sake)–so you have your meat, your starch and your veg all in one dish!
The stuffing gets toasty and crisp on the top and stays moist underneath. The chops slow roast on top and stay juicy too!
If you use boneless center-cut chops then brush them with a bit of melted butter. I prefer to use bone-in rib chops. The ones I’m using here I only paid 99 cents a pound for. They were a bit on the fatty side, but that’s easily cut out when serving. It was still a good value though.
I used a commercial cubed savory stuffing here, so when I use something that’s pre-seasoned, such as this stuffing mix, I will use low-sodium/salt free soups and stocks so I can control the salt somewhat. I also used a can of no-salt cut green beans since I didn’t have fresh or frozen, but if you use fresh or frozen veggies, then don’t cook first as the time in the oven will sufficiently cook them.
Roasted Pork Chops with Savoury Stuffing
- 4 large pork chops variety of your choice
- 2 tbs melted butter optional
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 bag 16 oz crouton-style stuffing mix
- 1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup 1/2 stick butter*
- 1 cup chicken stock*
- 1 can 10.75 oz cream of mushroom soup*
- 2 cups veggies of choice fresh, frozen, canned I used a can of cut green beans)*
- *salt-free or low-sodium products recommended
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Trim chops of excess fat.
- Saute onions and mushrooms in the 1/4 cup butter over medium heat until they just begin to brown. Add the stock to the pan and deglaze.
- In a large bowl, combine the croutons, celery and soup.
- Mix in the sauteed onion/mushroom/stock mixture
- Stir well.
- Fold in the veggies.
- Turn stuffing into a 13 x 9 -inch baking dish. Place chops on top. Brush with the 2 tbs butter if desired.
- Sprinkle chops with the salt & pepper if desired.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes