Make a big batch of this vegetable cream cheese to last through the holidays! It’s very versatile!
I was first introduced to fancy cream cheeses about 40-odd years ago when I spotted them in Waldbaum’s deli department back when I lived in NYC.
These cream cheese concoctions were primarily meant to go on bagels and bialys–and they are perfect for that–but they have many other delicious uses.
In this, I used green onions and red and orange peppers. Some broccoli and carrot would be nice too. It’s pretty much up to you what you use and use what you like! In fact, you could make 2 varieties at the same time. Add the green onions and remove half and you have scallion cream cheese. Add the peppers and whatever else you like, and you have vegetable cream cheese. In addition to using it on the traditional bagels and bialys, try it on some crackers or hard rolls. I decided to make roll-ups with it.
The other day I happened upon some fancy flatbreads in my local supermarket. In addition to plain and spinach, I saw a tomato-basil variety that I thought would be perfect for this appetizer. Spinach would do just as well too and in a pinch you could use plain old flour tortillas!
The cream cheese must be room temperature and soft enough to mix with a spoon. You can add as much veggies as you want. My measurements are what I use because to me it provides the perfect balance of flavors. Use it as a guide and then taste it. If you like it more crunchy and veggie based, add more of your desired vegetables. Same goes with the seasoning. I tend to undersalt things having gotten into the habit when my late husband was on a sodium-restricted diet.
This cream cheese will come in handy over the holidays–especially if you’re having parties!
Vegetable Cream Cheese Bites
- 2 large 12-inch diameter flavored flat breads or flour tortilla
- Vegetable Cream Cheese:
- 2 pkgs 8 oz each cream cheese, softened
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3 green onions white and green part, chopped
- 1/4 cup sweet red bell peppers finely diced (mixing colors looks very nice)
- Mix all vegetable cream cheese ingredients.
- Divide cream cheese between the 2 flat breads, spreading to the edge of the bread.
- Roll up jelly roll style and wrap in aluminum foil
- Refrigerate until cheese is firm.
- Slice in 1/2-inch slices.