As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
|Quinoa Fried Rice|
Quinoa has become one of my favorite grains. Often, I will substitute quinoa for rice in many dishes.
Using quinoa in place of white rice in my fried rice recipe was a big improvement. The grain has a natural crunch and nuttiness that adds so much to this dish.
Quinoa is cooked exactly like rice. I use my rice cooker to prepare it. Yes, it’s a little more costly than rice, but you can find deals. I buy this in my local health food store in the bulk section. It’s half the price as a small box you can buy in the supermarket.
|Delicious Quinoa Fried Rice|
The version shown above is vegetarian. If you prefer a little meat in this, then any leftover chicken, pork or beef will do. For the recipe given, add about 1 cup of diced, cooked meat and add it after the eggs are scrambled.
Check out more healthy/grain recipes at Shine Supper Club
Quinoa Fried "Rice"
- 3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 medium onion thickly sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup cooked peas
- 1 tsp dark sesame oil
- 3-4 tbs soy sauce
- 2 tbs vegetable oil for frying
- Place the quinoa, water and olive oil in a medium saucepan. Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat and cook until all the water is absorbed. If you are using a rice cooker, add the quinoa, water and olive oil and set to COOK (it is done when the rice cooker switches to WARM).
- Heat the 2 tbs of vegetable oil in a large skillet or wok. Break eggs into pan and with a spatula, scramble the eggs. When eggs are almost set, add garlic and onion (and meat if you are adding). Stir fry until onion is almost translucent.
- Add cooked quinoa, sesame oil and soy sauce. Stir. At this point taste the quinoa--you may have to add more soy sauce depending on your personal tastes. Stir in peas, and heat through.
- Makes 3 hearty servings or 6 side dish servings.