As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
|Orange Kiss Me Cake 2014|
This orange flavored fruit and nut cake never goes out of style. Enter for your chance to win a Kitchen Aid Artisan mixer or Kitchen Aid 11 cup food processor in the Holiday Baking Giveaway!
GIVEAWAY NO LONGER VALID
This is the cake of my childhood. It’s from a 1951 Pillsbury Bake-Off where I believe it won the grand prize.
My family loved this cake because it’s moist and full of fruity flavor. This is a refreshing cake. It’s not iced, but topped with cinnamon sugar and nuts.
|Bursting with fruit flavor and refreshing|
I’ve improved upon the old recipe by substituting a 2:1 ratio of evaporated milk to water. I find this improves a cake’s texture and taste. It will also make a boxed mix taste homemade if you substitute any liquid with a 2:1 mix of evaporated and water.
To kick off the holidays, I’m giving away a Kitchen Aid 5 Quart Artisan Mixer -OR- a Kitchen Aid 11 cup Food Processor to one lucky winner. A second prize of a brand-new, just-published edition of Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook will be awarded to a second-drawn winner. For details on the giveway, scroll down past the recipe.
Orange Kiss Me Cake 2014--Holiday Baking Giveaway
- 1 orange
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup walnuts
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup 1 stick unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup evaporated milk*
- 1/3 cup water*
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup Reserved orange juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- * 1 cup whole milk may be substituted for the evaporated milk and water.
- Squeeze juice from the orange; set aside.
- Using a food processor or grinder (hand or mixer attachment), grind orange rind (pulp and all), raisins and walnuts. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease or spray a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Place flour, sugar, salt, butter, eggs, baking soda, evaporated milk and water in a large bowl. Beat for 3 minutes at medium speed (4-6 on a KitchenAid stand mixer).
- Stir in the ground fruit/nut mixture.
- Turn into pan and spread batter evenly. Bake at 350 degrees F for 35-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 5 minutes. With a fork, prick holes evenly across the top of the cake. Pour reserved orange juice over top of the cake and let it soak in...about 10 minutes.
- Mix the topping ingredients and sprinkle evenly over top of the cake.
- This cake is better served the next day so the flavors meld.
Finally, GOOD LUCK TO ALL!a Rafflecopter giveaway
Copyright © Judith Hannemann aka The Midnight Baker 2014. All Rights Reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced without The Midnight Baker’s express consent.
Follow The Midnight Baker Best Holiday Recipes & Food on Pinterest
Would love to win! Thanks for the giveaway!
Leila E. says
Thank you for the opportunity to win this.
I'm sure that more of us like me do not do FB. Would you have an alternate way to enter?
Judith Hanneman says
No, yoyo, sorry.
Ronda Eagle says
Wonderful cake with an awesome KA Mixer or Food processor giveaway! Pinned this post.
Nicole Neverman says
Thank you so much for attending week 8 of #PureBlogLove and linking your fantastic blog post, I can't wait to see what you have in store for our party next week Thursday 8 PM EST- Sundays at midnight. Your post has been added to the #PureBlogLove Pinterest board for all to see 🙂 Have a great day!
Lillian (My Recipe Journey) says
You know I entered this one with pleasure!!! LOL! I love these kinds of easy Giveaways for AMAZING prizes! You Rock Always!!! Thanks for the recipes and the Giveaway! =D
VIckie Schoening says
Would love to win this!
Christina Lakey says
After so many years, I still find myself without a KitchenAid stand mixer! What the…? Now, I have a Bosch mixer and it has its good uses, but I still have an empty spot on my counter just waiting for the Kitchenaid 😉 Fingers crossed (I never win anything). Also, this cake looks AMAZING! I'm on a bit of an orange kick lately. So I'm thinking I will have to go ahead and add this to the list. Thanks Judith!
KC the Kitchen Chopper says
Hi Judy, Thanks for alerting me to the giveaway and to this yummy cake at #theWeekendSocial. Pinned!
Sharon L says
Is there a winner for the giveaway?
Judith Hanneman says
They're listed on my Facebook page. For some reason they didn't get published on the app.
SHARI ALLEN-GAETZMAN says
is there anyway you can put up a ‘print’ sign on all your recipes so that you’re not getting all 5-10 pages of things you do not want when trying to print off recipe???
Judith Hanneman says
That recipe hasn’t been converted, but I will do it now. The print button will be under the thumbnail in the recipe card. Since I had close to 1000 recipes to convert, I haven’t gotten to all of them so if you see another, please let me know.