As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Whether you serve them on a bun or not, these chicken burgers are totally delicious.
Chicken Burgers: Juicy And Delicious
It’s been a fashion lately to substitute ground turkey or chicken for ground beef. Since poultry has less fat than chicken, often it’s substituted for health reasons.
However, ground chicken is quite delicious in its own right. It makes wonderful meatloaf and these wonderful burgers. These burgers are every bit as moist and juicy as their ground beef cousins even when they’re cooked “well done.” Since none of us eat rare chicken–which is definitely unappetizing–that was my test for these chicken burgers. And they passed the test with flying colors.
Make Them Different Each Time
As with most recipes, if you change up the herbs and spices, you make a new dish.
It’s pretty much the same with these chicken burgers. I flavored them Italian style, however, using poultry seasoning in it’s place makes them entirely different.
Since I based these off a delicious Asian meatloaf I recently made, converting that meatloaf recipe into burgers would be seamless. And the diced water chestnuts from that recipe would work wonderfully here as well.
Of course simply substituting ground turkey makes them entirely different too.
Bun Or None
These are great served on a bun. I chose nice crusty Kaiser rolls for mine. Regular old white bread hamburger buns work nicely too.
If you can get brioche buns, they’d be spectacular as would a nice artisan roll or sourdough roll.
To make it a complete meal in a bun, add some lettuce and tomatoes to each burger.
Of course if you are watching your carbs, you can eliminate the bun entirely and just serve this with a big salad. Carb-free keto breadcrumbs can be substituted for the panko crumbs too.
- 1 lb ground white meat chicken
- 3/4 cup Panko breadcrumbs
- 3 tbs milk or cream
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tbs fresh parsley chopped
- 3 tbs Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tbs olive oil
- lettuce & tomato optional if serving on a roll
- Place breadcrumbs in a medium bowl and add the milk; toss to coat and let this stand for 5 minutes.
- Mix in the ground chicken, egg, herbs, cheese, salt and pepper. Divide evenly into 4 portions and shape into burgers.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large, preferably non-stick skillet. Place burgers in hot skillet and cook each side about 5 minutes, turning when nicely browned. Burgers should be 170F/85C in the center using an instant-read thermometer.