As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Oreo cheesecake is so easy to make that you just may make it every week!
Oreo Cheesecake Bars Are Easy Peasy
This has to be one of the easiest desserts I’ve ever made!
I have to say upfront that regular Oreo cookies are not my favorite cookie. That’s possibly un-American, but sadly it’s the truth. This is a dessert I’d never have thought of making ordinarily.
A request for something with Oreos came from a friend of mine who is also one of my official food testers, or as I call them, “victims.” I often treat Bill and his two employees to Friday lunch and these guys are real foodies, so their input on new recipes is of invaluable help to me. So I was delighted to make him something he specifically asked for.
Incidentally, I tried a small slice of this and it’s really delicious!! Remember, I don’t care for Oreos, but everything seems to work well in this recipe, and I really liked this!!
Yes You Can Make It Healthier!
Made as-is, this probably packs a hefty calorie punch, but with the right substitutions, the calories and the fat can be somewhat reduced.
The first substitution would be neufchatel (also known as “reduced-fat cream cheese”) for the regular variety. I can honestly say I cannot tell the difference between neufchatel and full-fat cream cheese. Now that’s something because I tend to dislike the flavors of foods that have been monkeyed with to reduce calories/fat. However, that’s not the case here. Actually neufchatel is a cheese of itself, and isn’t a reduced-fat/calorie concoction. It’s been available for years, too.
Next up is the whipped topping. Using the reduced-fat or fat-free variety will save additional calories and fat grams.
You can use Splenda too for the sugar. According to some commentary I read on this recipe, quite a number of people substituted the Splenda with excellent results.
Finally, if you can find them, Nabisco used to make reduced-fat Oreos. I don’t know if they still do. In fact, I haven’t seen them for ages, but bear in mind that I really wasn’t looking for them.
Want To Bake It?
You can do that too!
Probably the baked version will be a little lighter in texture because of the addition of one ingredient not in the no-bake version.
Directions for the baked version will be in the “Notes” section of the recipe card.
No-Bake Oreo Cheesecake Bars
- 21 chocolate sandwich cookies like Oreo/Hydrox, finely crushed
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 4 packages 8 oz each softened cream cheese
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tub 8 oz whipped topping
- 15 chocolate sandwich cookies coarsely chopped
- Additional coarsely chopped chocolate sandwich cookies for garnish optional
- Mix finely crushed cookie crumbs with melted butter. Press into the bottom of a 13 x 9-inch pan. Refrigerate until firm, about 1 hour.
- Beat softened cream cheese until smooth. Add the sugar and vanilla; beat well.
- Fold in whipped topping and coarsely chopped chocolate sandwich cookies.
- Spread cream cheese mixture on top of crumbs.
- Chill for at least 4 hours before serving.
- Top with additional coarsely chopped cookies if desired.
*Adapted from Kraft