Here’s a great buttermilk oven-fried chicken that’s just as crisp deep fried. Double dipped and cooked in only a tablespoon of oil!
Crisp Oven Fried Chicken With Little Oil
It’s hard to believe that this oven fried chicken comes out so crispy with only a tablespoon of oil!
The secret to the crispiness is preheating the baking sheet and the oil! This is a little trick I recently learned and I was very anxious to test it out!
Because you preheat the pan and the oil together, I’d strongly recommend using a metal pan or baking sheet. Adding cool chicken to the hot pan can cause breakage in glass or ceramic due to thermal shock. So play it safe with a pan that won’t break!
Messy But Worth It
I warn you upfront–this is messy to prepare!
As with any egg dipped and flour-dredged coating, your hands get very messy from the buildup of flour and liquid. A good pair of tongs works well here–if you’re comfortable using them.
I can never get the right rhythm with the tong method–no matter how many times I try. Therefore, I use my hands and they get very messy so I constantly have to rinse them off. I kid that my hands have fungus, which always gets a laugh.
I wish there was a super-easy and non-messy way to do this, but I haven’t discovered it besides the tongs.
To prevent the flour from getting gloppy from the dipping, I only add enough to coat a few pieces then add more fresh seasoned flour for the next batch.
I also find it more convenient to use an oblong pan for the flour dip because it gives you space to roll the chicken in the coating.
Buttermilk Oven Fried Chicken (Lower Fat)
- 8 bone-in chicken pieces thighs, drumsticks, breasts or a mix
- 1 tbs oil see NOTES
- Buttermilk Dip:
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce optional
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tbs kosher salt
- 1 tbs paprika smoked variety is best
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- Place the oil in a large baking sheet--a 15 x 10 jelly roll pan works well--or a large baking pan (metal roasting pan works well too).
- Put the pan in the oven and preheat to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk together all the buttermilk dip ingredients in a large bow.. Mix all the coating ingredients in another large bowl. See post for hints.
- Dip the chicken in the buttermilk mixture then the coating mixture. Again, dip the piece in the buttermilk mixture and coating mixture.
- Place the chicken, skin side down. in the hot baking sheet. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Turn chicken skin side up and bake for an additional 20 minutes.
- Skin may also be removed before preparation. Dip, coat and bake as per instructions.