As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
|Magic Chicken Pie|
Pour it on! This delicious chicken pie casserole makes it’s own biscuit top and creamy gravy as it cooks!
There’s very little work on your part, except for a bit of stirring. This is another recipe introduced to me from my friend Maria from Maria’s Mixing Bowl. Maria posted a version of this from one of her thousands of followers on Facebook. It looked good and easy, so I decided it was my kind of dinner.
|Magic happens in the oven|
Maria’s fan said you could use any veggies, or combo of veggies you liked. I thought broccoli would be good, so that’s what I used, however, mixed vegetables would probably be more traditional if you wanted to go the pot pie route.
Don’t be alarmed at how it goes together–it will look like a real mess, but the magic happens in the oven as it bakes. Just make sure NOT to stir the ingredients once they’re added to the pan and add them in the order given in the directions.
|Easy peasy supper|
This is a keeper. Next time I’m going to use cheddar cheese soup instead of the cream of chicken. I know many people don’t like cream of chicken, so use cream of mushroom instead. I don’t think anything would be lost as far as flavor is concerned. Use low-sodium soup and stock if you are concerned about salt. I usually use one or the other with things such as this. Remember you can add salt at the table if it’s too bland.
Magic Chicken Pie
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts, shredded
- 2 cups fresh or frozen vegetables your choice
- 1/4 cup onion chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups baking mix like Bisquick
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups rich chicken stock
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 10.75 oz can cream of chicken soup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cut the butter in chunks and place in the bottom of a 9 x 13-inch baking pan. Place in oven to melt butter; remove when butter is melted.
- In a large bowl, mix the milk and baking mix; set aside.
- Dissolve the stock cubes in the liquid chicken stock. Place the soup in a bowl and gradually mix in the stock mixture to keep the mixture smooth. Set aside.
- Assemble casserole as follows and DO NOT MIX OR STIR INGREDIENTS:
- Distribute shredded chicken over melted butter evenly
- Distribute veggies over the chicken evenly
- Distribute the onion over the veggies evenly
- Distribute the cheese over the onion evenly
- Pour baking mix batter over the top evenly
- Pour the soup/stock mixture over the top evenly
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until top is beginning to brown.
- Remove from oven and let stand 10 minutes before serving.
|Magic Chicken Pie|
Copyright © Judith Hannemann aka The Midnight Baker 2015. All Rights Reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced without The Midnight Baker’s express consent.