Gobs of cheese top these deluxe chili cheese dogs baked in crusty sub rolls.
New Twist On A Golden Oldie
This is one recipe that everyone probably has in their arsenal.
While there’s slight variations on anyone’s recipe for chili cheese dogs, most are pretty much the same.
Upfront I’ll say that chili cheese dogs isn’t one of my favorite things to eat, but when I saw Creole Contessa’s Baked Chili Dogs, they looked so good my mind changed about this dish.
I decided I was going to use small sub rolls instead of hot dog rolls. Not much of a change, but at least I thought I’d introduce a bit of crustiness for the rolls. I also doubled up on the cheese and used sharp cheddar and real American cheese.
Chili–Canned Or Your Own
If your family are big chili eaters, you most likely have some leftover in the fridge and this is an excellent way to use it up.
But if you don’t have leftovers, you can always make your own for these chili dogs and have some chili left over for a meal. Use your recipe, or try my chili recipe, however, in my recipe and any other, make sure to omit the beans.
Now, if you don’t want to bother making your own chili or if you have none left over, then by all means use the canned stuff. Canned chili isn’t really that bad. I found that out when I had to use some in a promotional post last winter. It’s actually quite good and I was surprised.
It’s a good idea to keep a can of no-beans chili on hand because it’s so useful as an ingredient for other recipes.
- 4 mini sub rolls or sandwich rolls
- 1½ cup chili without beans
- ¼ cup chopped red onion
- 4 bun-sized hot dogs
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 slices real American cheese
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or aluminum foil.
- Mix chili with the onion in a small bowl.
- Slice sub rolls open from the top (as in the photo)
- Place a hot dog in each roll and divide the chili mixture evenly between the 4 rolls.
- Cover pan loosely with foil and bake for 30 minutes or until the hot dogs are hot; discard foil cover.
- Divide the shredded cheese evenly over the chili dogs. Place a slice of American cheese on top of each. Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.