As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
|Double Cheese Bacon Pie|
Bacon and a double dose of cheese. It gets no better than this.
Who doesn’t love cheese and bacon???
This supper or luncheon dish will satisfy the fussiest eater.
Somewhat like a quiche, it’s base is a custard, but that’s where the similarity ends.
The custard has a heaping helping of jack cheese (you can sub any melting cheese you like here), plenty of bacon and a crowning glory of more cheese, but this time it’s cheddar.
|Cheese & bacon!|
A pinch of some thyme and a whisper of green onion finish off the savoriness of this dish.
Caution–this is NOT diet!!! However you can reduce the fat some by using evaporated skim milk in place of the cream and milk and lower-fat cheeses if you want.
I cheated here and used those ready-made pie crusts that are sold in the dairy section, but you can also use the frozen kind and of course, make your own favorite single-crust recipe.
Double Cheese Bacon Pie
- 1 9-inch unbaked pie crust
- 1 cup half and half *
- 1/2 cup milk *
- 4 eggs
- 10 strips cooked bacon cooked crisp and crumbled
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1 pinch dried thyme
- 1 cup shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. If using pre-made rolled pie crust, fit in a regular (not deep dish) 9-inch pie pan. Flute and prick fork holes in the bottom of the crust. Lay a piece of aluminum foil on the top of the pie crust and distribute pie weights (if you wish to use them). Navy or great northern beans can be used as pie weights. Uncooked rice may be used as weights too.
- Bake pie crust for 10 minutes. Remove foil and pie weights if you used them. Return crust to oven and cook 5 more minutes or until the fluting just begins to get golden. Remove from oven.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs. Add the milk, salt, pepper, green onions and thyme. Beat well. Add the 1 cup of Monterrey Jack and stir to combine. Pour in partially baked pie crust.
- Distribute crumbled bacon evenly across filling. Top with the 1 cup (or more if you like) of shredded sharp cheddar.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes, or until center is set.
- Remove from oven and cool for about 15-30 minutes. Pie is not served hot--it is served very warm.
|Double Cheese Bacon Pie|
Outstanding! Simple and easy to make, It refrigerates well, and warms up nicely in the microwave!
I agree though, that it is not diet-friendly, but bacon and cheese!!!!! Who cares!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Judith Hanneman says
Hell yeah Keith LOL…but this isn't a diet site so who cares??? 🙂
Long live BACON!!!