As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Classic apple dumplings are easy to make with crescent roll dough.
Versatile Crescent Roll Dough
Just when you think you’ve seen 1000 uses for crescent roll dough, up pops another one to take the count up to 1001 (this is always a number that’s in flux).
I’ve discovered the 1001th use here with these incredibly delicious crescent apple dumplings. Since I had quite a few tubes of the refrigerated dough on hand due to a great sale about a month ago, I had almost everything I needed to make these little beauties. One thing I lacked was the lemon soda that was in a Facebook friend’s recipe.
No problem–I had ginger ale on hand and used that.
The original recipe called for Granny Smith apples. With stores picked pretty much clean, they may not be available. I don’t ordinarily buy apples because I don’t eat them. I only buy them when I have a recipe that uses them, so I didn’t have any on hand. Luckily a friend had some but only Macintosh, so I used those. The dumplings turned out just fine.
You can probably substitute any non-citrus fruit here. Canned peaches would be a good choice and even an apple pie filling would likely do in a pinch. In these times of major shut-downs, you use what you can.
Shape Doesn’t Matter
I’ve been using crescent roll dough for more years than I care to mention. I’ve never had a sheet unroll where the triangles were perfect unless I rolled and reshaped each one. I gave up bothering with that a long time ago too.
So for these dumplings, just put the fruit along the long end of the triangle and fold up the rest of the dough around it so the fruit is covered. Actually, the little bundle it makes looks like a dumpling and they taste just as good!
Crescent Roll Apple Dumplings
- 2 cans refrigerated crescent roll dough 8 per package
- 1 cup butter melted
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon or to taste
- 12 oz can ginger ale or lemon soda
- 2 large Granny Smith apples peeled and cored
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Wash the apples, peel & core and cut each into 8 equal slices.
- Unwrap the crescent roll & separate the triangles.
- Place one apple slice at the wide end of the triangle & roll up.
- Butter a 13 X 9 inch baking dish.
- In a separate bowl, combine the butter, cinnamon, sugar & vanilla, mix until there are no lumps and pour over the rolls.
- Pour soda between rolls but NOT over them and bake for 35-45, or until golden brown.