As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Chicken Lazone is made from a few every-day ingredients, but don’t let that fool you–this one-skillet dinner is big on taste!
This is a recipe I pinned on Pinterest a few months ago that I knew I HAD to make because it looked and sounded out of this world!
Well, here’s yet another tweak of this great recipe!
The original calls for chicken tenders, but I didn’t have any of those. What I did have was some boneless skinless thighs in my freezer that I wanted to use because they were just frozen in the store package. I just had no time when I bought them to vacuum seal them. I figured they would work pretty well in this too because thighs have more flavor than breast (where the tenders come from).
Mandy used more cream than Steph because she has more people to feed and served it over spaghetti so needed more sauce. I went with just slightly less than Steph originally used because my cooking process produced a bit of stock. So what I subtracted from cream was made up rather nicely with some reduced stock that formed in the process. This probably was responsible for giving the sauce quite a bit of flavor. I also used less butter mainly because I had less batches of chicken to brown.
Both gals served this over pasta–and it really extends the amount of chicken you use if you have to feed a bunch of people. Truthfully, I was way too lazy to make any pasta, so I ate this with a veggie on the side. It would also be great with mashed potatoes because this sauce will knock your socks off–seriously.
And without the pasta or served with “zoodles,” this fits nicely into a low-carb diet. Probably passes the paleo test too, but I’m no expert on that so make sure before you make it!
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 4 tbs butter divided
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Spice Mix:
- 3 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp white pepper don't substitute--it's essential for the flavor
- Mix all the spice ingredients together--remove and reserve 1 tsp for the sauce.
- Place chicken in a large bowl and sprinkle the spice mixture over the chicken. Mix the chicken and spice mix with your hands so each piece is well coated.
- Melt 2 tbs butter in a large skillet over medium heat until it sizzles (don't let it brown)
- Add half of the chicken and brown well on each side. Remove from pan and melt the remaining butter and brown the remaining half of the chicken.
- Add all the chicken back to the skillet, cover and reduce heat to low and cook for 15-20 minutes, or until juices run clear from the chicken.
- Remove the chicken from the pan (cover and keep it warm) and raise heat to medium. Reduce the liquid by 25%--this should take 3-5 minutes once it begins to boil.
- Slowly stir in the cream. Add the reserved 1 tsp of spice mix to the sauce.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thickened and coats the back of a spoon--about 10-15 minutes
- Add the chicken back to the pan and heat through.