As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
|Creamy Chicken Rollups|
This only looks like an enchilada! Wonderful and creamy and BACON RULZ!
I have so many tortillas left over from Cinco de Mayo. I’ve been known to eat them right out of the package, but we won’t get into that LOL
Truthfully, I’m not much of a fan of anything chili, taco, etc., because basically, I’m not a lover of cumin. I was thinking what I could do with all these tortillas, so I began looking at enchilada recipes to gain a clue.
I hit on something I figured I could work with on BHG‘s website. Yeah, this is your standard, every-day chicken enchilada recipe, but I really liked the idea of cream cheese and it got me to thinking. I re-worked this entire recipe for ingredients I liked and had on hand.
What I wanted to do was take an enchilada, cut out the “Mexican” seasonings and bring it “uptown.” Oh, yeah, and include….BACON. And you can even use leftover meat to make this. I was going to call these Uptown Enchiladas, but that would be misleading.
I made my own sauce here, employing milk, sour cream and Velveeta (I tend to use Velveeta because it doesn’t separate and I always have leftover, but you could use real cheese if there will be no leftovers). Just didn’t want the “can o’ cream soup,” deal, but that could be an option, and also the sauce on BHG’s site link above would work–minus the green chiles.
I had 4 colors of diced bell peppers in my freezer, courtesy of ShopRite’s reduced produce rack about a month ago 🙂 but you can use all the same color. And feel free to double the sauce if you like it really saucy.
Creamy Chicken Rollups
Servings: 3 -4
- 1 cup cooked chicken breast
- 3 oz. cream cheese at room temp
- 1 tbs chopped onion
- 1/4 cup mixed color bell peppers
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 2 slices crisp bacon chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp white pepper yep, black is OK too
- 1 tbs butter
- 6 small flour tortillas
- My Sauce:
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 tsp butter
- 2 oz Velveeta cubed
- Alternate Sauce #1:
- See HERE and omit the green chiles
- Alternate Sauce #2:
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup Cheddar cheese soup may be subbed
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or jack cheese
- Melt the one tablespoon of butter in a medium skillet over low heat. Add onion, garlic and peppers. Saute until onion is tender. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Mix the chicken, cream cheese, olives, bacon and the sauteed pepper/onion mixture in a medium bowl. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Spray a shallow 1.5 quart baker with non-stick spray. I used a CorningWare French White shallow 1.5 qt baker, but an 11 x 7-inch would work well too. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place about 1/4 cup of the filling in each tortilla, roll up and place in prepared pan seam side down.
- I prepared my sauce by adding the milk, Velveeta and the butter in a microwave-safe bowl and nuking for 1 minute on HIGH. I then stirred until smooth and added the sour cream.
- If you wish to make the BHG's sauce, follow the directions in the link.
- If you are making option #2, simply mix all the ingredients together in a bowl.
- Pour whatever sauce you are using over the rolls.
- Place in pre-heated oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Makes 3 servings.