As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
elegant of Continental coffee cookies, but these are very, very easy.
Maybe it has a couple of steps to the recipe, but they are all simple
and most worth the time.
served with after-dinner coffee for holiday guests. You can leave off
the chocolate dip and have them for a Continental breakfast with coffee
or tea. They keep well because they are dried and contain no fat that
will go rancid. Anise extract may be substituted for the almond.
Chocolate Dipped Almond Biscotti
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp almond extract
- Chocolate Dip:
- 1 1/4 cups dark chocolate chips
- 1 tbs shortening
- 1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds for coating
- Preheat oven to 370 degrees (if you don't have a digital display, estimate). Grease or spray a loaf pan.
- Beat eggs and sugar well. Add salt, almond extract and baking powder; beat well. Add the flour and beat until mixed.
- batter into prepared pan. Bake at 370 for 20-25 minutes. Remove from
- oven and cool on rack for about 30 minutes. Remove from pan and slice
- loaf into 1-inch slices.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- biscotti side down on an ungreased baking sheet. Toast about 5 minutes
- each side. WATCH CAREFULLY as you don't want them to burn. Remove
- from oven and let cool on the baking sheet overnight to dry. HINT--what
- I do to speed this process is I let the oven cool down slightly and put
- the sheet with the biscotti back in the oven (the oven is off) and
- leave them in there until I'm ready to dip them.
- chocolate dip by placing chocolate chips and shortening in a
- microwave-proof bowl. Microwave on HIGH for 1 minute; stir. Microwave
- on HIGH for an additional 30 seconds. Stir well until no lumps are in
- the dip.
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper.
- the biscotti half way down in the chocolate; let excess chocolate drain off. Roll the chocolate
- portion in the toasted almonds. Place biscotti on prepared baking
- sheet. Repeat with remaining biscotti. Let chocolate set until firm.
- Makes 9 biscotti.