As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Tarragon & Chicken
Tarragon is a great herb to use with chicken. Not many people realize this. That included me until a chef friend used it to flavor his broiled chicken.
Thanks to my friend Klaus (he’s since passed), I discovered this great herb and it’s many uses.
Think Outside the Box
Up until I had Klaus’ chicken, the only herbs I ever thought to use with poultry were sage and thyme. Sage and thyme are great herbs, and I’m a big-time lover of thyme, but I’ve tried to think “outside the box” when it comes to using herbs.
Another thing I love is a quick skillet dinner that’s tasty and ready in 30 minutes or less. This chicken with tarragon cream sauce wins in both those categories.
I sliced the chicken breast in strips. The chicken may be left whole if you wish, but if you leave the chicken breast whole, I strongly recommend pounding it down to 1/4-inch so it cooks rapidly and evenly. I put mushrooms in this because I really like them. If you don’t like mushrooms, then leave them out. It won’t affect the flavor. I also used fresh tarragon, but the variety you find in the spice aisle is fine too. I prefer using fresh herbs when I can.
I served this over pasta, but it would also be good served over rice.
Chicken with Tarragon Cream Sauce
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast cut in strips see NOTES
- 8 oz mushrooms cut in half (optional)
- 3 tbsp butter divided
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon -OR- 1 tsp dried
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/4 cup water
- Melt 2 tbs of the butter in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Brown chicken well on both sides and remove from pan
- Melt the remaining 1 tbs of butter in the same skillet. Cook mushrooms until they begin to brown.
- Add the chicken back to the pan.
- Add the garlic, stock and tarragon to the pan.
- Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Mix the flour and water so there are no lumps. Stir this mixture into the pan stirring constantly until liquid begins to bubble.
- Add the cream and heat through.
- Serve over pasta or rice.