If you have leftover chicken and a sheet of frozen puff pastry, this chicken alfredo pot pie should be on your menu!
Here’s something really tasty to make with that bit of leftover chicken!
Making this up as a pot pie is very elegant looking, but if you don’t have the sheet of puff pastry and don’t want to make your own pie crust (puff pastry made from scratch is too involved for something so simple), this meal does very nicely over rice or pasta! So it’s very versatile.
Ready-made pie crust–the traditional kind–may be substituted here for the puff pastry. I just happened to have one sheet of it left after making my Pepperoni Pizza Pinwheels and I wanted to use it for something before it got all dried out in the freezer. And that’s something I’ll never understand–why they don’t wrap each sheet of pastry separately! So you have to open up the wrapper to use just one and then you’re stuck with the remaining one in the freezer. It should be used quickly. I’ve tried every repackaging method to make it last–none of them worked.
This recipe makes two hearty pies, but the recipe can easily be doubled or tripled if you have a lot of people. You can even make them in mini ramekins as an appetizer.
I got a little fancy schmantzy with the crust on these–it gave me the opportunity to use a small kit of autumn pie-dough cutters I bought ages ago. Since I rarely attempt making my own pie crust (because I usually have a 90% FAILURE RATE with it), I never got a chance to use these cute little cutters. On this one I used the maple leaf.
If you don’t have larger ramekins, this can be made in a regular baking dish–I suggest a 9 x 9-inch or a 10 x 7 (that’ll be 1.8L if you have Euro sized pans, i.e. Revol, Pillivuyt). Just add the chicken mixture to that pan and lay the sheet of puff pastry over the top–no fancy cutting involved!
Chicken Alfredo Pot Pie
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms*
- 1/2 cup tiny broccoli florets*
- 2 tbs butter
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup milk or cream
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 cup cooked chicken diced
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry defrosted
- 3 tbs flour
- 1/4 cup water
- Egg Wash:
- 1 egg
- 1 tbs water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- *Substitute any veggie combo you like. Here I used fresh broccoli, but frozen will do. If using frozen, just run it under cold water to remove the frost. It will cook in the pie.
- **Thickening is optional but you'll have a thin sauce
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add the mushrooms and garlic and saute until mushrooms begin to brown.
- Add the stock and the cream; heat through.
- If you choose to thicken the sauce, mix the flour and water together and stir into the sauce, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Add the Paremesan cheese. stirring to blend well.
- Taste the sauce and if it needs salt/pepper, add it now.
- Stir in the chicken and veggies.
- Cut 2 circles of dough the size of the ramekins; make an "X" or small hole in the center as a vent.
- Divide chicken mixture between 2 oven-proof 8-9 oz ramekins (or suitable oven-proof dishes)
- Top with dough circles.
- Lightly beat egg with the water; brush over pastry.
- Place ramekins on a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes, or until crust is a deep golden brown and puffed up.