As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These pepperoni pizza pinwheels go together 1-2-3 and are the perfect appetizer for your holiday or any parties!
I saw this ingenious appetizer in a Buzzfeed video. I thought this was the easiest thing ever!
One thing the video did not do was give amounts or times and temps for the oven. I searched similar recipes to get times and oven temps.
Use Good Pepperoni
I will say, that these are a tad salty. It may be the type of pepperoni I used because the sauce is one I use all the time and it’s fine and the cheese is quite mild. So before you arbitrarily buy pepperoni for this (you can substitute bulk Italian sausage too), go to your store’s service deli and ask to taste the pepperoni first. That was probably my mistake. I generally use the pre-packaged Hormel variety and it’s fine, but this time I wanted larger slices and my local deli had it on special, however, I neglected to ask to taste it first. If you opt for the Italian sausage meat, there should be no problems with saltiness.
The only real prep is if you use bulk sausage–you have to brown and drain. The rest of the ingredients are all store-bought convenience foods.
They really are a wonderful appetizer that’s sure to please. I mean how many people don’t like pizza? There’s not too many that I know!These can be prepared far ahead of a party–probably even frozen–but always bake them right before serving otherwise the puff pastry loses it’s crispness.
Watch The Video
Pepperoni Pizza Pinwheels
- 17.3 oz pkg frozen puff pastry sheets (there's 2 in a box)
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1/2 lb thinly sliced pepperoni -OR- 1 cup cooked bulk Italian sausage
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- extra shredded mozzarella to sprinkle on top
- Thaw pastry sheets, but do not unroll until they are thawed. Thawing takes about 30 minutes at room temp
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with baker's parchment
- Place pastry on a lightly floured board and unroll. Using a rolling pin, roll lightly until surface is smooth
- Place 1/4 cup of the marinara on each pastry sheet; spread evenly over the top
- Place the pepperoni slices on top of the sauce on each sheet, covering the tops entirely
- Sprinkle the cheese evenly across the top of each pastry sheet
- Roll up, jelly roll style from the longer end of the pastry sheet.
- Cut into 2-inch slices.
- Place on prepared baking sheet,
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until pastry is golden and cheese begins to brown
- Makes about 1 dozen.