As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Cheesy roast broccoli is one of those sides that just may become a main dish!
Cheesy Roast Broccoli: Every Bite Crunchy
Here’s something way different than the usual broccoli and cheese casserole. Not to say that the usual one isn’t delicious, because it is. However, this sheet-pan way to do this cheesy roast broccoli is easy, delicious and is crunchy in every bite.
There’s a secret to getting roast veggies just right and it’s so simple you just won’t believe it. I think this method also reduces the fat a bit as well. But that’s only my opinion on that.
Since this is so good, I made it my entire meal. With meat prices so high, perhaps you, too, will think of this not only as a side dish; but a meatless meal in itself.
The Secret To Great Roast Vegetables
It’s as simple as a preheated baking sheet. Yes, that simple.
Just pop the sheet pan in and preheat the pan along with the oven. That sears one side of whatever you are roasting–it doesn’t have to be just broccoli!
This way you’re not dousing with oil when the veggies are on the pan. I don’t know about you, but I tend to use too much when doing this. When you keep to the small amount of oil and toss them in the bowl, I feel you use less. As an aside, I tried spraying them with the oil spray bottle I use for air frying. Even though that was in theory a great idea, the bit of oil that got sprayed into the oven smoked and smelled horrible. Needless to say I don’t do that anymore. That does not happen with the hot sheet, even though the broccoli was tossed with oil.
Cheddar is a natural with broccoli, so I stuck to that. I had some mild cheddar I wanted to use up so that’s the variety I used. Sharp cheddar would be wonderful as well.
Swiss is another great option. So is colby cheese. Stringing cheeses such as mozzarella would be good too if you serve this immediately.
Cheesy Roast Broccoli
- 1 1/4 lb fresh broccoli florets
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbs melted butter
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Place a sheet pan on a rack in the upper-middle portion of the oven. Preheat oven to 400F/200C (with the sheet heating with the oven).
- Toss the broccoli with the oil and salt in a large bowl.
- Spread the broccoli out on the hot sheet and roast until the bottoms of the broccoli are nicely browned; about 15 minutes.
- While the broccoli is roasting, mis all the crumb ingredients in a small bowl and stir to combine.
- Remove the pan from the oven and distribute crumb mixture over the broccoli. Set the oven to broil function
- Pop the sheet under the broiler until the cheese is melted and the crumbs just begin to get golden brown--watch it closely so it doesn't burn.