As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Classic side dishes for Thanksgiving include mashed sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, mashed rutabagas, and fresh cranberry sauce. I’m sharing all 4 recipes with you today.
Here’s the recipes for the sides dishes and cranberry sauce from a recent dinner I hosted.
No fancy pics in this post! That’s because this wasn’t planned.
I recently hosted a dinner for some very wonderful friends and we combined Canadian Thanksgiving because one couple is Canadian, and an anniversary celebration for another couple.
This was posted on my Facebook fan page and I had requests for these recipes, so here they are!
- 12 oz fresh cranberries (1 bag is usually 12 oz)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 strip orange peel 1/2-inch x 2-inches
- 2 tbs water
- Mix all ingredients in a medium saucpan
- Heat over medium heat stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Bring to boil and allow to boil for 10 minutes.
- Cool to room temperature and refrigerate until ready to use.
- 2 large rutabagas Swede, yellow turnip peeled and cut in chunks
- 1 tbs salt may be omitted
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup water
- To avoid long cooking times and to insure the rutabaga is soft enough to mash, I use a pressure cooker to cook them so the directions are for that appliance
- Place rutabaga chunks in the pressure cooker
- Add salt if using and the water.
- Seal pot and process for 15 minutes at 10 psi or "vegetable" setting on electronic models
- Let the pressure release naturally, i.e. don't open the vent.
- When pressure has dropped, open pot and drain the rutabagas
- Add the butter and pepper and mash with a potato masher or electric mixer.
Sweet Potato Mash
- 6 cups mashed sweet potatoes or 40 oz of canned yams, mashed
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 cups mini marshmallows up to 3 cups, if desired
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly spray or grease a 11 x 7-inch baking dish.
- Mash sweet potatoes in a large bowl
- Add the pecans, brown sugar and maple syrup. Stir well to combine.
- Spread mixture in the prepared pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Top with mini marshmallows and return to oven for 5-10 minutes or until marshmallows begin to toast.
Green Bean Casserole
- 56 oz (4 cans) cut green beans drained
- 21.5 oz (2 cans) condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups french fried onions
- .75 cup milk half and half, or cream
- .5 tsp fresh ground pepper
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly spray or grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- Mix the soup, soy sauce, milk and pepper in a large bowl.
- Stir in the green beans and ONE HALF of the can of onions.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes.
- Top with the remaining half can of onions
- Return to oven and bake an additional 5 minutes to crisp and toast the onion.