As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
|Potato & Cheese Stuffed Pork Chops|
A pleasant change from the usual bread stuffing. These pork chops are stuffed with potatoes and Fontina and Asiago cheese. Directions for slow cooker included!
A few weeks ago, friend and fellow blogger Tara from Noshing With the Nolands did a similar pork chop dish where the chops were stuffed with Asiago cheese. They looked delectable!!!
I wanted to do something similar and I had some nice center-cut bone-in pork chops hanging around in my freezer. I also have an excess of potatoes and some Fontina cheese I bought for another project. As many of you know, my fridge ALWAYS has Asiago cheese in it.
|Also can be made in the slow cooker|
You have to slice the potatoes ultra thin, or they won’t cook well. I give the option of using the frozen shredded kind that are used to make hash browns. But remember to thaw them first. And whatever potato you use, pat them try or else the filling may be watery!!
I got a wonderful tip from reader Jean T. who made these but instead of cutting a “pocket” she used thinner pork chops and put the filling between 2 thinner chops. I LOVE this because it’s a time saver!
These are also easily made in the crock pot. The directions are below the “standard” cooking method below.
Cheese & Potato Stuffed Pork Chops
- 4 center cut bone-in pork chops about 3/4-inch thick
- 2 medium potatoes sliced VERY thinly*
- 1/2 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded asiago cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 3 tbs melted butter divided
- *Pre-frozen shredded potatoes (sometimes called “hash brown”) may be substituted. Use about 2 cups.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly spray a 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Make a “pocket” in the chops to hold the filling. Here’s a very good video explaining how:
- Peel the potatoes if you wish. I used white new potatoes so eliminated this step. Slice the potatoes ULTRA thin…so you can read the newspaper through them. For this, I used my box grater–the side that has the “U” shape. Otherwise use a mandolin to accomplish this. You may also substitute frozen shredded potatoes that are thawed if you don’t want to bother with the thin slicing. Pat the potatoes to remove excess moisture between paper towels.
- Place potatoes in a medium bowl. Add the cheeses, salt, pepper and 1 tbs of the melted butter.
- Stuff each chop with 1/4 of the potato-cheese mixture. Place in prepared pan. Brush with remaining melted butter. Sprinkle lightly with additional salt and pepper.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 40-50 minutes.
- SLOW COOKER METHOD:
- Proceed as above, except don’t prepare a baking dish.
- Place chops in a 5-7 QT slow cooker. Try to angle the chops with the stuffed pocket angled upward.
- Cover and cook on HI for 4-5 hrs.
|Cheese & Potato Stuffed Pork Chops|
Copyright © Judith Hannemann aka The Midnight Baker 2014. All Rights Reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced without The Midnight Baker’s express consent.