|20-Minute Apple Crumble|
Dessert in 20 minutes! This apple crumble goes together quickly and with no real fuss.
I found this the other day when looking through some of my old cookbooks that were my mother’s. This one came out of an old Family Dinners in a Hurry from Betty Crocker. I’ve been into this food nostalgia from watching The Astronaut Wives Club.
It goes together with little fuss or muss and the kicker is–it’s totally delicious!
The apple pie filling’s flavor is enhanced by a drop of lemon juice and some cinnamon. It’s surprising what those two little things do for it–it actually makes it taste homemade and cuts that cloyingly sweet taste most canned apple pie fillings have.
You can use any canned fruit pie filling with this. Cherry would be nice as would blueberry and strawberry.
|Serve with ice cream!|
You can also make the topping by itself, bake it and have it handy as a topping for any other dessert, especially ice cream. Just double the recipe, spread it out in a 13 x 9-inch pan and bake it at 400 degrees F for about 10-15 minutes. Break it up and store it in the fridge in an air-tight container.
- 1 can (21 oz) apple pie filling
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ (1/2 a stick) cup softened butter
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 2 tbs chopped nuts (walnuts, pecans, almonds)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Mix pie filling with the lemon juice and cinnamon. Spread in the bottom of a 1 qt gratin dish or 8 x 8-inch square baking pan.
- Mix all topping ingredients. Drop small amounts evenly over top of apple mixture.
- Bake at 450 degrees F for 15 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Copyright © Judith Hannemann aka The Midnight Baker 2015. All Rights Reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced without The Midnight Baker’s express consent.Yum