As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
|Annie Glenn’s Ham Loaf|
This meatloaf is not only spectacular tasting, but it’s the famous family recipe of Annie Glenn, wife of American legend John Glenn.
Who else is addicted to the miniseries “The Astronaut Wives Club?” I am because I lived through that time of Sputnik and Mercury. John Glenn was a hero to me then, and he still is! Mr. Glenn is in his 90s and is still vibrant and active. So is Mrs. Glenn.
Annie Glenn is a hero too. In mid-life, she conquered a debilitating stutter with the help of an experimental program. The Glenn’s have always been inspirational for their achievements.
I read that this recipe was a family favorite of theirs and when Mrs. Glenn served it to Vice President and Mrs. Johnson, Lady Bird asked her for the recipe because they loved it so much.
|Serve at your next launch party!|
It was hard tracing down the original recipe. It was a good thing I read the book as well because it told the ingredients, but not the amounts. There’s many versions of this, but I found it in Google’s archives of a 1961 Milwaukee newspaper.
I will caution that the sauce gets the consistency of Karo syrup towards the end of the cooking and the ham loaf is sticky and pretty hard to remove from the pan, but even if it starts to break up–and I let mine rest for about 25 minutes after removing from the oven–it’s totally delicious! Real retro comfort food–and the dinner of champions!
|Tender, moist and mellow flavor|
Read more about the Glenn’s at the John & Annie Glenn Historic Site
Annie Glenn's Ham Loaf
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1 1/4 cups scant milk
- 2/3 cup saltine cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup instant tapioca
- 1 tbsp minced onion
- 1 lb ground smoked ham
- 1 lb ground pork
- 4 oz ground beef
BROWN SUGAR SAUCE
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp dry mustard
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 1/4 cup water
- Mix the eggs, milk, cracker crumbs, tapioca and minced onion in a large bowl. Stir well and let sit until slightly thickened–this will take about 30 minutes.
- While the egg mixture is sitting, prepare sauce–mix all sauce ingredients in a small saucepan. Heat till boiling. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a 13×9-inch pan with non-stick spray.
- Mix in the smoked ham, pork and beef. Blend well. Turn into prepared pan and shape into a loaf.
- Drizzle sauce over ham loaf.
- Bake for 2 hours, basting with sauce frequently (I did this every 15-20 minutes).
Copyright © Judith Hannemann aka The Midnight Baker 2015. All Rights Reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced without The Midnight Baker’s express consent.