As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This stoevetop chicken pot pie is just what the doctor ordered on a chilly night!
Chicken Pot Pie–Made On The Stovetop
Is there anyone who doesn’t love a good chicken pot pie? I’m pretty sure the answer to that question is not many!
One of the best-loved parts of it is the filling. Personally, I could do without the crust on most of them, the exception being the more gourmet varieties with flavorful crusts.
Well, the crust here is eliminated entirely in this stovetop chicken pot pie so what you have is all filling that resembles a thick soup or a stew. It’s so good, they’ll beg for seconds!
No Crust But Something Better
As I said, the crust is eliminated here but since there’s got to be something to replace it–for the comfort factor alone. The replacement is far better than any crust. It’s a nice, big and flaky biscuit.
I opted to use those frozen buttermilk ones because I like easy (plus I’m not a champion biscuit maker either).
You can also use the ones that come in a tube. But use the good kind. Don’t scrimp because they’re worth it. I’d use them myself but am not embarrassed to say I’m really put off by the popping tubes. I know I’m not alone there…
The last option is to make your own. If you’re a great biscuit maker then this is the way to go.
I always make more biscuits just in case. One big one is enough for most people, but if you’re serving some with hearty appetites then plan on at least two biscuits for them.
More Veggies–Of Course!
The amount of carrots and peas I used in this is just right for me, but as always, feel free to add more. Even add another veggie to make it interesting.
Some people like corn and green beans. They go nicely in addition to the traditional peas and carrots.
Stovetop Chicken Pot Pie
- 4 frozen buttermilk biscuits
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cups half and half or whole milk
- 3 tbs flour
- 1 1/2 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 chopped small onion
- 1 cup julienne carrots
- 3 tbs butter
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup frozen peas thawed
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- Cook frozen biscuits per package directions. Set aside.
- Place stock, half-and-half, flour and poultry seasoning in a large sealable jar and shake until combined.
- Cook onions and carrots in the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat until soft. Slowly whisk in the stock mixture and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook, stirring frequently, until thickened.
- Stir in shredded chicken, peas and parsley. cook for about 5 minutes then season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve in a bowl topped with a biscuit.