As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Smothered pork chops made easy in the slow cooker. The gravy is awesome!
Fall Is The Time For Pork
Fall isn’t only great for leaf peeping, it’s also the time you get great deals on pork.
You’ll find great prices on all cuts of pork. Recently, my stores had great deals on boneless pork loins.
What I do is buy the whole loin then cut some of it into chops and leave the rest whole for roasting.
Taking advantage of these sales allows me to stock my freezer so I always have chops and roasts when I need them.
Smothered Pork Chops–Oh That Gravy
In a word, this gravy is awesome!
It takes advantage of convenience ingredients and one ingredient I always make from scratch.
I no longer buy ranch dressing/seasoning pre-made. This is one ingredient that I insist on making myself.
Lately, I have found the pre-made seasoning to be overly salty and when you combine this with other convenience ingredients, such as soups and gravy mixes, the meal becomes a sodium-loaded nightmare. Therefore, I insist on making my own. That way, I can control the salt and/or leave it out entirely. Lately, it’s been the latter. The recipe for my favorite mix is in the recipe ingredient list.
As far as canned cream soups, I now buy only the lower-sodium variety. I keep in mind what my mom always told me, “You can always add it but you can’t take it out.”
Perfect With Mashed Potatoes
What more can be said?
What I did with this meal is literally serve it over a pillow of mashed potatoes, not with the potatoes on the side. This way the meal is truly “smothered.” Plus the presentation looks nice as well.
Simple steamed green beans accompanied the smothered pork chops and the potatoes.
Watch The Video
Slow Cooker Smothered Pork Chops
- 2 lbs boneless loin pork chops
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 8 oz button mushrooms optional
- 1 can 10.75 oz cream of mushroom soup—low-sodium preferred
- 1 envelope country gravy mix see NOTES
- 1/4 cup ranch seasoning mix homemade variety -OR- 1 pkg commercial (see NOTES)
- 1/4 cup water
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil. Brown pork chops well on both sides. Place in a 5-7 quart slow cooker (I used my casserole crock)
- In a small bowl, mix the soup, gravy mix and the ranch seasoning mix. Spread on top of the pork chops.
- In the same skillet, brown mushrooms, if using.
- Deglaze pan with the 1/4 cup water. Add the mushrooms and liquid to the slow cooker. Even if you don’t use the mushrooms, deglaze the pan and add the liquid to the slow cooker.
- Cook on low 6-8 hours (mine was done in 6), high 3-5 hours.
- Always check for doneness at the MINIMUM time. All crock pots cook differently and my results could be different from yours.