As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Let your slow cooker do all the work with this great tasting Cajun steak.
Slow Cooker Does The Work
Your slow cooker is a great way to prepare a tasty meal with little effort on your part.
This slow cooker Cajun steak is just one of those recipes. This recipe is a two-step process. The first step I consider to be important to build good flavor. It’s not entirely necessary but worth it provided you have the time.
The low slow cooking brings all the flavors together perfectly. The gravy is delicious too. Serve it simply on top of a mound of mashed potatoes.
Lends Itself To Substitutions
This Cajun steak lends itself to substituting what you have on hand. Since stores are mostly picked clean with what we’re going through, many of us are turning to what we have on hand to make meals.
Don’t have cube steak? If you have a beef roast in the freezer, cut that up into thin steak slices and that’ll work out fine. So will a London broil.
If you don’t have dry onion soup mix, then a tablespoon of beef bouillon granules and a tablespoon of dehydrated onion will work.
You can make your own Creole/Cajun seasoning with herbs and spices you have on your shelf. Of course you can leave it out, but the dish will be less spicy. However, it’ll still be delicious.
That One Extra Step
That extra step I spoke about in the first section is browning the meat.
Granted, it’s not entirely necessary. You can just dump and go with this recipe. But over the years I’ve discovered browning whatever meat you’re using improves the flavor greatly.
Another thing I do is deglaze the pan to get up all those delish burny bits at the bottom and incorporate that into any stock that’s used. So if you use a half cup of water to deglaze, just top that up with whatever stock you’re using.
Slow Cooker Cajun Steak
- 3 1/2 lbs round steaks or cube steaks
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp salt optional
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tbs oil
- 1 tbs Cajun seasoning
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tbs soy sauce
- 3 onions sliced thin
- 1 bell pepper sliced thin
- 1 envelope onion soup/dip mix
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup 10.5 oz each
- Dip both sides in the flour and shake off excess.
- Heat a skillet with the vegetable oil.
- Brown both sides of each piece of steak. You do not have to cook the meat until it is done. Just brown the outsides.
- Spray the slow cooker with a cooking spray.
- Layer the sliced onions and bell pepper.
- Layer the steak on top of the onions and bell pepper.
- In a bowl, mix the mushroom soup, onion soup mix, beef broth, soy sauce, garlic powder, Cajun seasoning, and paprika. Poor over steak in slow cooker
- Cook on low 6 to 8 hours.
The slow cooker is so full not everything will be seasoned well if you do not stir it together first.