As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
A slow cooker cherry crisp that requires only 3 ingredients and 3 hours to cook.
Great Taste Few Ingredients
All this cherry crisp requires is three main ingredients, and I bet you have all of them on hand especially if you have a well-stocked pantry.
There’s quite a number of items I insist on having on hand at all times. Two of them are yellow cake mix and a can of cherry pie filling. Butter is the third ingredient. I always tell people to never substitute margarine for butter. Margarine simply doesn’t have great taste and I find it overly oily when it’s in something. And when it heats, it has a really nasty odor. For years I called it “axle grease,” but even axle grease smells better.
Not to get bogged down in health issues, because that’s not this blogs’ focus, but I’ve read that with recent research, butter is actually healthier than the imitation stuff. But whatever the reason, it merely tastes better and that’s reason enough.
Nice Additions But Not Necessary
I personally love the flavor of almonds with cherries so I used some toasted sliced almonds to top off this cherry crisp. I also added 2 teaspoons of almond extract to the melted butter. That gave the “cake” part a little more almond flavor.
You don’t have to use the extract because the cake tastes fine without that addition. You could also use any other nuts in place of the almonds. Walnuts would be lovely here.
Substitute chocolate fudge or devil’s food cake mix instead of yellow cake mix for a Black Forest like version.
Slow Cooker 3-Ingredient Cherry Crisp
- 1 box 2-layer size yellow cake mix
- 1/2 cup 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tsp almond extract optional
- 21 oz can cherry pie filling
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds or any kind of chopped nuts
- Melt butter over low heat in a small saucepan.
- Add the extract if using
- Place cake mix in a large bowl. Add the butter mixture and stir until all the butter is absorbed--the mixture will be crumbly.
- Spread the can of cherry pie filling in the bottom of a 5-7 quart slow cooker (I used a 7-quart oval).
- Distribute the cake mix "crumbs" across the entire top surface. Top with nuts.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 2-3 hours.