Roasted peppers and whole wheat pasta give this salad tons of flavor. The balsamic dressing is to die for too!
It’s Pasta Salad Time
OK I know this is a year-round item, but summer really is when most of us think of pasta salad.
This one is a bit out of the ordinary since it not only uses roasted peppers, but it’s made with yummy whole wheat pasta. So I’d venture a guess that this particular pasta salad is a bit more healthy because of that.
Roasted Peppers And Other Stuff
I had a boatload of bell peppers so I decided to fire roast them on my gas grill and use them in this salad. Originally, that was all I intended to add.
However, the same friend who gifted me with all the peppers–and various colors too–also gave me a couple of zucchinis. So I figured I’d roast them and add them to the mix.
I also had a cup or two of yellow and red grape tomatoes, and said what the heck, and threw them in too.
While the roasted bell peppers are the dominant flavor, roast any veggie you like to toss in as well.
A Dressing To Die For
You heard that right. Ooooh baby, is this dressing good!
This dressing is another instance where I’m amazed at how so few ingredients produce such great flavor.
It contains 4 basic ingredients–balsamic vinegar, garlic, olive oil and dijon mustard.
The dijon mustard is there to help emulsify the oil. Add about a tablespoon to any vinaigrette then process in a blender while adding the oil in a slow but steady stream and your dressing will hold together and not separate!
Roasted Pepper Whole Wheat Pasta Salad
- 8 oz uncooked whole wheat rotini or similar shape
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 2 cups grape tomatoes
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium orange or yellow bell pepper
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 3 tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbs dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cook pasta per package directions. Drain and rinse; set aside.
- Cut the peppers in half and remove seeds and ribs. Slice the zucchini about 1/4-inch thick. Place the peppers, zucchini and tomatoes in a large bowl and drizzle with the olive oil; toss to coat.
- Heat BBQ grill to high. Using a BBQ frying pan or grill pan, roast peppers, zucchini and tomatoes until they begin to char an blister. Remove from heat and let the veggies cool.
- Cut cooled peppers into strips about 1/4-inch. Mix the grilled veggies and the cooked pasta in a large bowl.
- To make dressing, combine the vinegar, mustard and garlic in a blender or small food processor. With blender running, slowly add the olive oil. Add any salt/pepper to taste.
- Drizzle desired amount of dressing over the pasta mixture.
- Refrigerate pasta salad until ready to serve.