Get these lemon pepper wings on the schedule for your Super Sunday snacking!
Wings Are A Classic Snack
I don’t think there’s anyone who doesn’t like wings! Any way you make them, I’ll be first in line eat them! And what is better for a Super Bowl party than some delicious wings?
Lemon pepper is a classic chicken wing flavoring. It may not be the number one choice, but it’s certainly in the top 10.
There’s a couple of ways to prepare the chicken wings. I chose to use my air fryer because it’s quick, easy and efficient. They can be made in the oven too. Either way you make them you will get great results.
Lemon Seasoning Blend
There’s lots of lemon pepper seasoning blends on the market. If you have a favorite one, by all means substitute it for my homemade one.
I make my own because I really haven’t found a commercial variety that I liked all that much. Most are OK but lack the taste I actually want. Being a lover of garlic, I want that flavor in the seasoning. None I’ve tried had any hint of garlic. It’s true I haven’t tried every lemon pepper seasoning blend out there, so there could be a brand that I’d fall in love with. So far there hasn’t been so I make my own.
You can start with fresh lemon zest and dry it out in a low oven, but I don’t want to make that investment in time nor labor. Therefore, I buy dehydrated lemon zest. If you want to buy it, you can find it in the “gourmet” spice section–those varieties that come in the glass bottles. It’s not cheap but a little goes a long way and you will always have it on hand when you need lemon zest. The way I look at it, it pays for itself after a while.
Use Your Air Fryer
This is an excellent way to use that air fryer you may have gotten recently as a gift.
The air fryer cooks things pretty quickly so it’s a fast way to prepare any wings you want to make. They will also come out really crispy which adds to the wonderful flavor.
If you aren’t lucky enough to have an air fryer–I definitely think you should by one because you won’t be sorry–you can do them in a regular oven.
Directions for both methods are in the recipe.
Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings (Air Fryer or Oven Baked)
- 3 lbs chicken wings whole or thawed frozen drummies and flats
- 3 tbs olive oil
- Lemon Pepper Seasoning:
- 2 tbs dehydrated lemon zest
- 2 tsp coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
Lemon Butter Sauce
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- Reserved lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 tbs honey
- 1 tbs fresh lemon juice
- If using whole chicken wings, remove wing tip then separate the flat from the drummie at the joint. Pat dry.
- Mix together all of the lemon pepper seasoning ingredients in a small bowl. Reserve 1 tsp for the lemon butter.
- Place wings in a large bowl, drizzle with the olive oil and toss to coat. Sprinkle lemon pepper seasoning over the wings and toss to coat well.
- AIR FRYER METHOD: Air fry at 350 degrees f for 24 minutes, turning half way through the cook time.
- OVEN METHOD: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil or parchment. Lay wings in a single layer on prepared pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes, turning half way through the cook time.
- For the lemon butter sauce, melt butter with crushed garlic clove in a small saucepan over medium heat. When garlic becomes fragrant, remove from the pan and discard. Add remaining ingredients and cook until mixture begins to bubble. Pour over hot wings and toss to coat.
*Post contains affiliate links