As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Made in the Instant Pot makes these ribs and sauerkraut ultra quick. Psst…the sauerkraut is special in this one.
An Old Comfort Food Standby
Ribs and sauerkraut has got to be in the top 10 of comfort food meals.
Since its summer and long oven or stovetop cooking is not something most of us want to do, this is where your Instant Pot really comes into play. Not only do you get a meal where they flavors meld wonderfully due to how a pressure cooker cooks, but pressure cooking is relatively quick and doesn’t heat up the kitchen much.
This recipe is a bit different with a great rub for the ribs and a surprising flavor for the sauerkraut.
Sauerkraut Is Special
Usually this dish has apple accents to cut the tartness of the sauerkraut. In that case, this recipe isn’t different from the others.
However, there’s one ingredient that make this sauerkraut a big hit. And you’ll never guess that it’s BBQ sauce!
In fact, it reminds me a bit of the red coleslaw served at a famous BBQ joint in Nashville. Its one of the most-requested items on the menu because its so different. And that’s the same with the way the kraut is flavored in this.
Rub And Additional Ingredients
The rub is chock full of wonderful flavor. I think the chili powder and smoked paprika are responsible for that. If you want more smoky flavor and you don’t mind a bit of heat, use chipotle chili powder. I’d recommend using half chipotle and half regular chili powder.
In addition to all the great flavors this recipe has, an added accent of caraway seed is never out of order. Personally, I think it gives the kraut a little oomph.
As an aside, use potatoes that have a waxy texture because more mealy varieties are just going to get mushy. Anything you’d use for potato salads is perfect here.
Instant Pot Ribs & Sauerkraut
- 4 lbs pork baby back ribs
- 1/2 tbs kosher salt
- 2 tbs pepper
- 2 tbs chili powder
- 2 tbs smoked paprika
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 1 tbs onion powder
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- 29 oz sauerkraut juice included, 2-14.5 oz cans
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup BBQ sauce
- 2 tsp caraway seeds
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 large Yukon gold potatoes
- Mix rub ingredients in a small bowl.
- Remove membrane from the bone side of the ribs--this stops them from curling when cooked.
- Sprinkle the rub on all sides of the ribs. Cut ribs into portions about 2-3 ribs long.
- Slice potatoes (you don't have to bother peeling if you scrub them well) into 1/4-inch slices then place in the the bottom of the Instant pot.
- Add the undrained sauerkraut, apple juice, BBQ sauce, caraway seeds and the brown sugar on top of the potatoes. Place ribs on top of the layered mixture.
- Seal and cook on high pressure for 30-40 minutes--the longer time produces ribs where the meat will fall off the bone. Let pressure reduce naturally for 5 minutes, then release the pressure.
- Remove ribs and stir the sauerkraut mixture.
- Serve ribs on top of the sauerkraut