The whole family will love this Alfredo chicken casserole and so will you because it’s so easy!
A Quick Way To Dinner
Who has time anymore on a weeknight to fuss over making dinner? The easy answer is “no one.”
Could also be that you’re just not that into cooking on a particular day–I have quite a few of them now that I’m older. However, you want to eat real and tasty food, not frozen pizza or take-out, even if you don’t feel much like cooking.
This recipe is a godsend for many reasons, one of them being there’s no real fuss involved. About the fussiest thing here is a quick breading and browning, but even that’s relatively fuss-free.
Boneless Chicken Is Your BFF
Boneless chicken parts have become my best friend in recent years.
The number one reason is that boneless chicken cooks quickly. Therefore you can get a very simple meal on the table in about 15-20 minutes.
Since boneless skinless breast goes on sale very often, it’s a good idea to buy in bulk and vacuum seal them individually. I use my Foodsaver for this–another appliance I swear by. Lately, one of my stores had boneless skinless thighs and chicken tenders on buy one get one free. I stocked up!
Since I prefer thighs, I used them in this recipe. However, breasts and tenders work just as well. And if you have chicken breast on hand, use what you have!
Skillet Or Casserole
If you don’t want to dirty another dish, this can also be made top-of-stove in a skillet–the same one you used for browning. I have given directions in the recipe below.
I prefer the slight crunchiness that baking it in the oven produces, so that was the cooking method I chose. But either or works just fine.
A final word about the cheese–I tend to use Romano because it has a more robust flavor. If you don’t care for the additional pungent flavor, then it’s best to stick to Parmesan.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs (see NOTES)
- 1¼ cups heavy cream, divided
- 2 cups Italian seasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tbs olive oil
- Cream Sauce:
- ¼ cup Parmesan or Romano cheese
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- ⅛ tsp oregano
- Fresh chopped parsley for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly spray a 11 x 7-inch pan or 2-quart casserole.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Pour ½ cup of the cream into a pie plate or a dish with sides. Place the breadcrumbs on a plate. Dip the chicken in the cream and let the excess cream drip back into the pie plate; dredge the chicken in the crumbs.
- Brown chicken in the skillet on both sides.
- Lay the browned chicken in the prepared baking pan.
- In a small bowl, mix the remaining cream, cheese, garlic powder, salt, pepper and oregano; pour over the chicken.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes. Garnish with parsley if desired.
- SKILLET METHOD: Drain the fat out of the skillet and add the chicken back. Prepare the cream sauce as directed in the main recipe. Pour over chicken. Simmer, uncovered, for about 20 minutes and cream sauce is reduced by 25%
*Post may contain affiliate links Yum