As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These brownies are the perfect fall treat. Sure to please chocolate and pumpkin lovers.
A Perfect Fall Treat
It’s officially fall now so all thoughts turn to pumpkin!
I’m no different and I’m always looking for ways to get it into recipes at this time of year. There’ll be a lot of sales on the canned variety now that autumn is here and let’s not forget those fresh ones you either grew or picked at a local farm.
This recipe doesn’t use that much pumpkin because it’s basically just a topping. Therefore, unless you are a serious canner or freezer and you have some leftover pumpkin puree, I’d use the can just because it’s easier. And I’m all about “easy” these days.
Look no further if you love chocolate!
Not only are the brownies chocolate, but you get a double whammy by putting chocolate chips in with the brownie mix. Speaking of the mix, it’s always best to get a good one. Any chocolate flavor will do, but dark chocolate brownie mix will make these very intensely chocolate. Couple that with a high-quality dark morsel and you’re really in business.
One cautionary word here–these brownies must be kept in the fridge. They also must be chilled prior to cutting them. They’re so chocolaty that they become very gooey at room temperature and the topping is cheesecake so make sure store them chilled–that is if you have any left over.
To get the nice marbling on the top, less is more.
Getting this effect is quite easy but you must quit while you’re ahead as I implied before. Until I learned that a little goes a long way, I would always louse up things like this.
So what you do is drop bits of the brownie batter and drops of the cheesecake batter on top, then just make a few swirls with a knife–and the less the better. It will come out like a work of art!
Watch The Video
Double Chocolate Pumpkin Cheesecake Brownies
- 3 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin not pumpkin pie mix
- 1 egg
- 3 tbs sugar
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 box brownie mix I used dark chocolate flavor
- 1/2 cup chocolate morsels or chunks
- Water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on brownie mix box
- Heat oven to 350°F. Spray bottom only of 9-inch square pan with cooking spray. In medium bowl, beat Filling ingredients with electric mixer on low speed until smooth. Set aside.
- Make brownie batter as directed on box. Fold in the chocolate morsels, Spread 2 1/4 cups of the brownie batter in pan. Spoon filling by tablespoonfuls evenly over batter. Spoon remaining brownie batter over filling. Cut through several times with knife for marbled design.
- Bake 38 to 42 minutes or until toothpick inserted 2 inches from side of pan comes out almost clean. Cool 30 minutes on cooling rack. Refrigerate about 2 hours or until cooled completely. Cut into 3 rows by 3. Store covered in refrigerator.
*Adapted from Betty Crocker