As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This tortellini and veggie dinner goes together 1-2-3 and anyone who tastes it will declare it “the bomb.”
If you want a quick and very tasty meal, look no further than this dish!
I have to admit I love my local store’s variety of fresh pasta. They have many varieties of fresh tortellini to choose from. I picked 4-cheese for this recipe, but it can be make with any other flavor and it’d still be fantastic–especially if you can get the Italian sausage variety.
Made with cheese tortellini, the dish is vegetarian (but not vegan I am afraid), so this is something to keep in mind for Lent or if you are having company that includes folks who don’t eat meat. But this is so good, the meat eaters won’t be missing out on anything.
Another thing I really love is fire-roasted diced tomatoes. Anything that uses diced tomatoes will have a flavor lift if you substitute them. If you have regular diced or petit diced on hand, those can be easily substituted for the fire-roasted variety.
Because this dinner has ample quantities of both tomatoes and spinach, it’s a complete meal. Clean up is easy too because all you use is two pots–one to cook the pasta and the other to assemble and complete the cooking.
This sauce is creamy, slightly cheesy and so delicious. This is also a kid pleaser.
How much better can you get than a meal that’s fit for company and pleases youngsters?
Creamy Spinach and Tomato Tortellini
- 1 pkg 16-20 oz fresh cheese tortellini
- 1 can 14.5 oz diced fire roasted tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups chopped frozen spinach defrosted and drained (see NOTES)
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 tbs chopped onion
- 1 tbs fresh basil -OR- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 3 tbs flour
- Cook tortellini per package directions; drain and set aside (do not rinse)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add minced garlic and onion. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until it becomes fragrant and onion begins to get translucent.
- Add undrained tomatoes, basil, spinach, salt and pepper.
- Add the drained tortellini and stir to combine.
- Mix the milk and cream; add the flour, blending so there are no lumps—I put this in a covered container and shake it.
- Add the milk mixture and the cheese. Stir constantly until sauce begins to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately.