As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Chocolate raspberry crisp is a tasty and easy dessert any time of the year. And it’s perfect for Valentine’s Day too.
Fruit crisps are easy desserts, that’s for sure! They’re great desserts for when you’re in a pinch.
As berries are generally associated with summer when they are plentiful, a fruit crisp is thought of as a summer dessert.
What I usually do is buy up berries of all kinds when my local stores have them buy-one-get one and then freeze them. They’re perfectly good for baking and cooking if they’ve been frozen. So take advantage of sales and freeze if you don’t already do this.
Chocolate and raspberry are one of those marriages made in heaven. They complement each other so well; each enhancing the flavor of the other.
Dark chocolate, of course, is best here. So I highly recommend using it. Semi-sweet chocolate is good too, however, dark is better.
The good thing here is you can now get dark chocolate morsels. Yes, even the store brands are available and that’s what I buy. If your store doesn’t carry the house brand, they are available in the premium brands and they’re worth the extra cost.
The proportions of raspberries to chocolate in this chocolate raspberry crisp is nothing scientific. If you like more chocolate to raspberry, then just increase the amount I used in my recipe to suit your tastes. Likewise the same applies to the raspberries.
These desserts are not like cakes which are scientific formulas where amounts matter a lot. Here, they really don’t so you can go to town with the flavors you and your family really prefer.
For the topping, I used quick oats, which is what I had on hand. You can always substitute old-fashioned or steel-cut oats if that’s what you have. Actually, the texture would probably be much crunchier if you did. The thing is, you don’t have to worry with “recipes” such as this–it will always be edible and delicious.
Chocolate Raspberry Crisp
- 4 cups fresh or frozen raspberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tbs flour
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate morsels
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cold butter cubed
- In a large bowl, gently toss raspberries with sugar and 3 tablespoons flour. Fold in chocolate morsels. Transfer to a greased 9-in. square baking dish.
- In another large bowl, combine the oats, brown sugar and 1/3 cup flour; cut in butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over berries and chocolate.
- Bake at 350F/180C for 30 minutes or until golden brown.