As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
|Blueberry Lemonade Muffins|
These cake-like blueberry lemon muffins are like a mini coffee cake in muffin form. Crunchy butter and lemon crumbs are the crowning glory.
These muffins have a cake-like texture and a tart hint of lemon. Lemon and blueberry are one of my favorite combinations.
|Loaded with fruit|
I made these for a dear friend (and neighbor) who recently had knee surgery. I know blueberry is one of her favorite flavors and these will certainly cheer her up…she’s a week post-op and is in intensive therapy and at this point, the therapy is no fun…far from it.
I made these with frozen berries and kept them frozen until the very last minute when I had to add them. Thawing makes them get “juicy” and the juice will dye the batter. That’s OK, no difference in taste, but you’ll get purple muffins! You could use fresh if you want, should work about the same. I’ve never done this with fresh because I simply never buy fresh blueberries because they go bad very quickly.
|Basket full of cheer|
Also, this won’t work too well with very low or no-fat milk. STRONGLY resist the urge to save those 50 calories–the muffins will just not be good.
I always make Texas (large) sized muffins. It’s been years since I made the regular size, which now seem puny to me. The bake time I gave for them is approximate–do check them after 18 minutes or so for doneness. Since Texas muffins are twice the size of regular, you will get twice the amount of regular. Again, the yield is approximate since you could fill the cup differently to me. It’s just a guide.
|Buttery lemon crumbs are irresistable|
Blueberry Lemonade Muffins
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp regular sugar
- 1 tsp grated lemon zest
- 6 tbsp butter melted
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 2 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk don't use skim or 1%
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 tsp lemon extract
- 3 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1 cup frozen blueberries do not thaw
- 1 tbsp flour
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease or line with paper cups either a regular or "Texas" muffin pan. Regular makes about 18 muffins, "Texas" makes about 9. I made "Texas" size.
- For crumb topping: in a small bowl, mix all ingredients except the melted butter. While stirring, add the butter until you get clumps about the size of small peas. You may have to add a tablespoon or 2 MORE flour to get good crumbs. This is weather dependent. Set aside.
- For the muffins: In a medium bowl, stir the 1 cup flour, baking powder and salt together. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, eggs, oil, milk, extract and lemon zest. Beat with electric mixer until foamy.
- Add the flour mixture to the liquid mixture and beat with electric mixer until well blended and there are no lumps.
- In a small bowl, mix frozen berries with the 1 tbs flour (this stops them sinking). Stir berries into muffin batter.
- Spoon into prepared pans. I use an old-fashioned ice cream scoop for this. Fill the cups 3/4 full. Top with crumbs.
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 30-35 minutes for "Texas" muffins. Regular muffins bake about 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Makes about 18 regular, 9 large.
|Blueberry Lemonade Muffins|
Copyright © Judith Hannemann aka The Midnight Baker 2014. All Rights Reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced without The Midnight Baker’s express consent.
Follow The’s board ♨Hot Fun in the Summertime Blog Hop♨ on Pinterest.