As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This sweet and sticky chicken is packed with the flavor of tangy apricots.
Since they were pretty ripe when I re-discovered them, it was a now-or-never thing to use them.
One thing I always have plenty of in my freezer is chicken. I thought it might work if I re-worked my sticky chicken glaze using apricots. That was a great save because this tasted marvelous.
I didn’t include the ripe apricots in the sauce–I baked them in the pan with the chicken. Instead, I used apricot preserves.
The apricots are not pictured because since they were a tad overripe, they got a bit mushy, but eaten with the chicken, it was a fabulously tangy. This sauce would work for wings too.
|Good for wings too|
As apricots are close in flavor to peaches, just substitute peach preserves and fresh peaches for the apricots. Peaches seem to be on sale at low prices right now, so the substitution is good plus it’s economical.
- 2 lbs chicken thighs and/or drumsticks
- 1 lb fresh apricots halved and pitted*
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 cup apricot preserves*
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tbsp white wine
- 1 clove garlic minced
- *Peach preserves and peaches may be substituted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix all sauce ingredients in a small saucepan and heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar and preserves are dissolved. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.
- Place chicken parts skin side down in an oven-proof 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Pour sauce over chicken, lifting chicken parts so sauce can get under them.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Turn skin side up and bake for 35 minutes.
- Add apricot halves and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes.
Copyright © Judith Hannemann aka The Midnight Baker 2015. All Rights Reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced without The Midnight Baker’s express consent.