As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
|Apple Bourbon BBQ Pork Chops|
These apple and bourbon scented pork chops are a great fall or anytime meal. Make them stovetop or in the slow cooker.
The idea for this recipe came from BHG, but there were a few things I didn’t much care for about it–the choice of pork cut and the method of cooking–slow cooker.
|Perfect for fall!|
Now everyone knows how “into” my slow cookers I am, but for some reason, I couldn’t picture this dish coming out looking good with that method.
I saw this with a nice syrupy glaze made from the sauce. The sauce was adapted from the original recipe as I’m not using as much bourbon and to me, dark brown sugar was a better choice than light brown. I also used fresh thyme because I grow it, but that’s incidental.
|Apples glaze as they cook|
Originally, this specified country-style pork ribs, which for me are way too fatty and would spoil the sauce, so I substituted leaner chops and turned this into a top-of-the-stove dish, which I think results in a superior end result.
Slow cooker directions are given, but I would advise making a reduction from the liquid from the pot. Fat won’t be a worry if you use pork chops so there’d be no need to skim.
|Also can be made in the slow cooker|
This meal was excellent and a keeper. It would be perfect for a fall supper! I used Gala apples, but any tart cooking variety will do you in this dish.
Apple Bourbon BBQ Pork Chops
- 6 large bone-in rib or sirloin pork chops
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 3 tart apples cored and sliced in 1/2-inch slices (don’t peel)
- 1/2 cup good-quality BBQ sauce
- 1 cup apple jelly
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup bourbon*
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp crushed thyme -OR- 4-5 sprigs fresh bruised
- Stovetop Directions:
- Mix all sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Brown chops well on all sides.
- Add apples. Pour sauce over chops, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove chops to a serving plate, cover and keep warm.
- Raise heat to medium and reduce sauce to half the original volume (takes about 10 minutes). Turn apples once or twice during this time.
- Pour sauce and apples over chops. Serve immediately.
- Slow Cooker Directions:
- Mix sauce and brown chops as in stovetop directions.
- Place chops in a 5-6 quart slow cooker. Pour sauce over chops and cook on low 3 hours, on high 1 1/2 hours.
- Add apples to slow cooker and cook on low 3-4 more hours, on high 1 1/2-2 hours.
- Sauce may be reduced on stovetop if a more syrupy sauce is desired.
Copyright © Judith Hannemann aka The Midnight Baker 2015. All Rights Reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced without The Midnight Baker’s express consent.