As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
|Apple Bourbon BBQ Pork Chops|
These apple and bourbon scented pork chops are a great fall or anytime meal. Make them stovetop or in the slow cooker.
I think I love pork chops about as much as chicken. They are one of my favorite things to eat so I’m always looking for new ways to make them.
The idea for this recipe came from BHG, but there were a few things I didn’t much care for about it–the choice of pork cut and the method of cooking–slow cooker.
|Perfect for fall!|
Now everyone knows how “into” my slow cookers I am, but for some reason, I couldn’t picture this dish coming out looking good with that method.
I saw this with a nice syrupy glaze made from the sauce. The sauce was adapted from the original recipe as I’m not using as much bourbon and to me, dark brown sugar was a better choice than light brown. I also used fresh thyme because I grow it, but that’s incidental.
|Apples glaze as they cook|
Originally, this specified country-style pork ribs, which for me are way too fatty and would spoil the sauce, so I substituted leaner chops and turned this into a top-of-the-stove dish, which I think results in a superior end result.
Slow cooker directions are given, but I would advise making a reduction from the liquid from the pot. Fat won’t be a worry if you use pork chops so there’d be no need to skim.
|Also can be made in the slow cooker|
This meal was excellent and a keeper. It would be perfect for a fall supper! I used Gala apples, but any tart cooking variety will do you in this dish.
Apple Bourbon BBQ Pork Chops
- 6 large bone-in rib or sirloin pork chops
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tart apples cored and sliced in 1/2-inch slices (don’t peel)
- 1/2 cup good-quality BBQ sauce
- 1 cup apple jelly
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup bourbon*
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp crushed thyme -OR- 4-5 sprigs fresh bruised
- Stovetop Directions:
- Mix all sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Brown chops well on all sides.
- Add apples. Pour sauce over chops, bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Remove chops to a serving plate, cover and keep warm.
- Raise heat to medium and reduce sauce to half the original volume (takes about 10 minutes). Turn apples once or twice during this time.
- Pour sauce and apples over chops. Serve immediately.
- Slow Cooker Directions:
- Mix sauce and brown chops as in stovetop directions.
- Place chops in a 5-6 quart slow cooker. Pour sauce over chops and cook on low 3 hours, on high 1 1/2 hours.
- Add apples to slow cooker and cook on low 3-4 more hours, on high 1 1/2-2 hours.
- Sauce may be reduced on stovetop if a more syrupy sauce is desired.
Copyright © Judith Hannemann aka The Midnight Baker 2015. All Rights Reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced without The Midnight Baker’s express consent.
Follow The Midnight Baker’s board The Midnight Baker on Pinterest.
So fabulous, Judith!
plasterer bristol says
This sounds lovely and really tasty. Thank you for sharing this.
Excellent, there were no left overs and the pork chops were very tender. I cooked this via the slow cooker method, used light brown sugar instead of dark, and the honey infused burbon from Jim Beam. My family told me to keep this one and make it again!
Judith Hanneman says
Wow I’m going to have to look for that honey infused bourbon! So glad you all liked it!