As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Three layers of deliciousness–brownie base, creamy coconut center and light airy topping! Serve it chilled or for a real treat, frozen!
I like a good dessert. But I really love a dessert that not only is scrumptious, but easy too!
These bars take advantage of three convenience ingredients–brownie mix, instant pudding mix and whipped topping.
I made the brownie mix up for fudgy brownies. It make a nice solid base for this. Cake-like brownies might work too, but I feel that a more compact texture works better here. I used a mix that makes a 13 x 9-inch batch. However if you want to make your own from-scratch brownies, go right ahead, but make sure the recipe is enough to fill a 13 x 9 pan.
The center is coconut-flavored pudding made up like a pie filling. I use well-chilled undiluted evaporated milk for part of the required amount of milk. This makes a very creamy and velvety texture. If you can’t get the coconut cream variety of the pudding, then vanilla pudding with 1/4 cup coconut added would be a good substitute. If you hate coconut, then just make the straight vanilla pudding with no additions. I love the stuff, but I know a number of folks who really don’t do coconut.
As far as the topping goes, I used plain old whipped topping. This is a product I’ve grown to like–especially since the ultra-pasteurized creams don’t hold up when whipped and commercial stabilizers won’t work in ultra-pasteurized creams. Believe me, I LOVE the real thing, but now it produces inferior results–especially if whatever you put it on will not be eaten in it’s entirety the day it’s made.
I used chocolate sprinkles to finish this off, but a nice hot fudge sauce drizzled on top would be really nice. So would flaked coconut.
Triple Layer Coconut Cream Brownie Bars
- 1 box brownie mix--the size that makes a 13 x 9 sized pan plus required ingredients
- 2 pkgs 4-serving size each coconut cream instant pudding mix (see NOTES)
- 1 - 12 oz can evaporated milk chilled
- 1 cup cold milk
- 2 - 8 oz tubs whipped topping
- 1/4 cup chocolate sprinkles
- Prepare brownies as chewy/fudgy option on package. Bake for the time directed on box.
- Let brownies cool completely.
- Make up pudding layer by placing the evaporated milk and regular milk in a large bowl. Add the packages of pudding mix and whisk for 2 minutes.
- Fold in 1 tub of whipped topping; spread over cooled brownies.
- Frost top with the remaining tub of whipped topping.
- Refrigerate at least 3 hours before serving. If desired, this can be frozen and served frozen. If you want to serve it frozen, then freeze for at least 4 hours.