As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Tender chicken in a creamy ranch gravy is a big dish of comfort! Set it and forget in in your slow cooker!
Here’s a meal that comes with absolutely zero fuss. It’s a real “dump and go” preparation so nothing could be easier.
I made this with boneless skinless chicken thighs. They were on sale last week in one of my local stores for a ridiculously low price, right along with boneless skinless breast. So, I stocked up because I just treated myself to a brand-spanking-new upright freezer and couldn’t pass up the opportunity to fill it.
Thighs work much better with slow cooking, at least for me. The texture remains pretty much OK where I find that boneless skinless breast gets dry and stringy with long cook times. This recipe will work with breast portions, but I’d caution to watch it carefully and serve it right when it’s done–and figure on 3-5 hours at most to cook this with boneless skinless breast. Thighs also produce, at least to me, a better flavor with low, slow cooking.
The convenience ingredient here is cream of chicken soup. I usually use the lower sodium variety when I’m adding store-bought seasoning mixes to avoid the end product being too salty. Here I did use a commercial packet of ranch dressing mix. You can make your own–I do and I use this ranch seasoning recipe. When I make my own, I cut the called-for salt in half. Just happens that I have a ton of store-bought ranch seasoning and I want to use it up, but I prefer Missy’s recipe that I linked to in this paragraph. It tastes better and I think you’ll agree!
I served this over jasmine rice and it was delicious. It also reheats easily if you have leftovers.
Slow Cooker Creamy Ranch Chicken
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs or breast
- 10.75 oz cream of chicken soup (low sodium preferred)
- 1 envelope dry ranch dressing/seasoning mix -OR- 1/4 cup homemade ranch seaoning
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup finely diced sweet red bell pepper
- 4 oz cream cheese cut in small cubes
- 3 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Mix soup and ranch seasoning in the crock of a 5-7 quart slow cooker.
- Gradually add the water, stirring so it doesn't get lumpy.
- Stir in the red pepper.
- Add the chicken, cover and cook on low 6-8 hours, high 3-5 hours.
- About 1/2 hour before the minimum cook time, add the cubed cream cheese and the Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and continue cooking for about 30 minutes.
- Stir well so the cream cheese is well blended into sauce.