As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Sheet pan dinners are popular because they’re easy. Try it with sausage and peppers!
Convenient Sheet Pan Dinners
Complete dinners made on one baking sheet have been amazingly popular lately.
It’s the same thing as a one-skillet meal only done in the oven. Making your dinner and especially your veggies on a baking sheet also yields roasted veggies which taste so much better than steamed.
So with this method, you get the deliciousness of roasted vegetables along with roasted meat and that’s a perfect deal in my opinion. Another bonus is if you line the baking sheet with parchment or heavy-duty aluminum foil, there’s little to no clean up!
Any variety of Italian sausage will do.
There’s very fancy ones that have more herbs, cheese and other flavorings. They would be very good in this dish.
But the plain old sweet or hot (or a combination) will do just as well. I’m partial to hot sausage so I used them in here. And the ones I used were locally sourced and they were excellent. They weren’t as hot as the ones you get in the store. If you could call them “mild hot” that would be a perfect description. If you are local (or visiting) to the Mid Hudson Valley in New York, the sausages are from Sugar Hill Farm and I get them from my friends Chrissy & Ben from See And Be Kitchen.
Since I love a lot of color, I used red and green bell peppers. Plain old green will do as well because they taste the same and are often on sale for a lot less than their red brothers.
If you’re using mild sausage, you may want to consider using a hotter pepper to spice things up a bit. Poblanos would be good here since they’re not too hot. But by all means, spice things up with super hots if you want–or a combination of mild and hot.
Sheet Pan Sausage & Peppers
- 1 lb Italian sausage any flavor
- 1 green bell pepper sliced in strips
- 1 red bell pepper sliced in strips
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tbs grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C
- Slice sausage in 1-inch pieces (2.5 cm).
- Place the sausage, peppers and onion in a large plastic zipper bag (I used the 2 qt size). Drizzle with the olive oil.
- Spread on a medium baking sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes or until sausage is done and peppers are roasted.
- Sprinkle with the grated cheese.