Have a big crockpot of this sausage and cheddar beer soup on hand for the big game. A “super bowl” of soup for the Super Bowl!
This soup was always a big hit at my Super Bowl parties years ago. No matter how much I made, it’d be totally gone in an hour or less.
Guys LOVE this soup. It’s packed full of cheese, smoked sausage and potatoes so what’s not to love?
The way the crock pot comes into play is it is used to keep the soup hot. I imagine it can be cooked in it’s entirety in a slow cooker, but to get the big-time flavor, you MUST saute the onions with the sausage and let it brown. Since that’s the major part of making this, it seems a bit counterproductive to put it in the slow cooker to wait hours for it to cook. Your slow cooker, however, is an excellent way to keep it warm on a buffet table.
The soup is smoky and cheesy and the beer adds another dimension of flavor here. This is a rich soup–lots of butter and it has cream in it as well–so the slight bitter undertones of the beer stops it from tasting TOO rich. And here, that’s a good thing.
This is very quick to make. It only takes about 30 minutes cooking time, and there is little prep as well. All you have to do is chop some onions and garlic and slice the smoked sausage. Everything else is already done for you when you buy the ingredients.
If you want to serve this as a family meal, I’d recommend you leave the beer out. There’s only a 12-ounce bottle in the whole thing so it’s not the alcohol that’s the issue here (because the cooking evaporates the alcohol), it’s the taste. I’m pretty sure younger kids wouldn’t appreciate the slight bitterness the beer gives the soup. Anyway, it’s delicious without it, so you probably won’t miss it if you don’t use it.
Sausage and Cheddar Beer Soup
- 1 pkg 12-16 oz smoked sausage or kielbasa, sliced in 1/8-inch slices
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 green onions thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard i.e. Colemans
- 2 cups frozen hash brown potatoes use the cubed kind, not the shredded
- 5 cups chicken stock preferably unsalted or low sodium
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 bottle/can 12-oz beer
- 2 cups shredded yellow sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar I use Cabot Seriously Sharp
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes optional
- Allow the shredded cheese to come to room temperature (about 30 minutes)
- Melt butter in a large (4-5 qt) dutch oven over medium heat. Add the sliced sausage and cook until it just begins to brown.
- Add the onion, green onion and garlic to the pot. Saute over medium heat about 5 minutes.
- Add the flour and mustard; stir in well and let this cook about 1 minute.
- Stir in the stock and beer; add the frozen potatoes. Bring to a boil and cook uncovered for 10-15 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- Stir in the cream and heat through.
- Slowly add the cheddar cheeses, stirring constantly, until cheeses are completely melted.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes if using.
- Transfer to a 4-5 quart slow cooker, cover and set the heat to "warm/keep warm."
- Makes approximately 10 servings.