As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Looks and tastes like you got this at an expensive bakery, but this raspberry cheese tart is made with leftover pre-made pie crust and ingredients you have on hand!
Who doesn’t have a leftover pie crust from the recent holidays? I’m one of those people since I only ever use one so I’m always left with it’s mate as they are a package of two. And since making my own rolled-out pie crust is so variable–from downright awful to pretty good–with more emphasis on downright awful, I buy the pre-made kind.
So I wanted this box out of my fridge. Had no room in any freezer so I wanted to use it up.
One thing I always have is cream cheese and I’d just found a can of pastry filling when I was rotating my canned goods. This is the stuff put out by Solo. It’s not pie filling–it has a consistency of fruit jam, so it’s perfect for swirling into cheesecakes and regular cakes. You could probably use ordinary pie filling or even fruit jam if you wanted to do so. Only thing I would say if substituting those is to cut the sugar in the cheesecake portion in half as pie filling and jam are a lot sweeter than pastry filling.
I decided a fancier presentation was in order so I used an oblong tart pan. My pan measured 11 x 7-inches approximately so if you don’t have one that size, an ordinary baking dish of the same proportions can be used and you can pat the crust in to fit. Just remember to build up the sides a bit–maybe 1/2-inch or so. It’d also work in a 9-inch quiche pan or cake pan.
My essence of choice in cheese fillings for these kinds of desserts is almond, but if that’s not your bag, vanilla can be substituted and you can leave the sliced almonds off the top. A drizzle of chocolate goes nicely with the raspberry and also the cheesecake, but that can be omitted as well. If you want my recipe for quick ganache drizzle, it can be found in my recipe for White Chocolate Heath Bar Crunch.
Raspberry Cheese Tart
- 1 pre-made pie crust or your own if you have success with from-scratch crust
- 1 can 12 oz raspberry pastry filling
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp almond extract*
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds optional
- Powdered sugar for dusting optional
- Chocolate ganache for drizzle optional
- *vanilla may be substituted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Press crust into a 11 x 7-inch rectangular tart pan. What I did was lay the rolled up crust in the center of the pan lengthwise, then unrolled it and cut off the part that overhangs and place what I cut off at the ends of the pan, pressing up to the rim.
- In a medium bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the sour cream, sugar, almond extract and egg and beat until well combined.
- Spread cream cheese mixture over crust.
- Drop dollops of raspberry pastry filling randomly over top; swirl it into the cheese mixture with a knife.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and center is set.